Deadly Lies- Chapter 10

"Has the jury reached a verdict?" Judge Macklin asked, her eyes trained on the 12 juries. My heart was pounding viciously, even though I knew there was no reason. During the course of the preceding, John had made his way over to us and took my hand in his. His fingers were coiled around mine, stiff and cold. Squeezing his hand, I noticed how his gaze didn't waver from the two men. For a second his eyes met mine and those blue irises, calmed the erratic beating in my hear.   

            "Yes your honor." A man in his early forties, dressed in a nice white shirt, said as he stood up.

            "How do you find the defendants on the account of sex trafficking and abduction of minors as well those of age, twenty-eight accounts of known murderand civil disobedience?" The judge asked, and I felt mom squeeze my hand, in turn I clutched Johns harder.

            "The jury finds the defendants-" Blood rushed to my ears and I swallowed, desperate to hear. "Guilty."    

            A boisterous roar ripped throughout the room and sobs mixed with anxious laughter. I sagged in my seat, resting my head on John's broad shoulder. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and a chilled thought swirled its way down my spine. My fingers went slack just as mom leaned over and placed a warm kiss to my cheek.

            "You're not happy, sweetie?" Mom asked with concerned eyes, her smile falling.

            "Of course I am." I smiled, but the thought was still melting its way over my entire body. Mom didn't push and instead turned her attention to John, who was running a hand through his hair. Although the two men were found guilty, the lives they took, the lives which they ruined, could never be replaced.  

            "Congratulations," Mom said jumping out of her seat and enveloped John in a hug.

            I watched as he folded his arms around her. Mom looked so small and fragile that the thought of losing her made my eyes sting with tears. The horrid thought made me think of John, and just how much he lost to the two men being handcuffed. To the man that was still out there, the same man that was watching our ever move, taking innocent lives all in hopes of rattling us. Standing up, the sound of people laughing and chattering penetrated my fog. Mom let go of John and instead wrapped me in a tight hug, mumbling something into my ear. Soothing my hair, she pulled back after a minute a smiled a tear stained smile.    

            "Let's go home."   

            Together, the three of us exited the room and made our way to the main doors. From the window, I watched with wide eyes as the reporters from this morning doubled. Now, there must've been at least fifty people with camera and microphones milling about. Mom grabbed my hand and John wrapped an arm around my waist and dipped his head down to mine.

            "I'm here." His lips brushed my ear and I felt myself smile.

            "I know." I said and pressed myself closer to his body. Yelling erupted as soon as we opened the doors.

            "-Sophie!-Sophie! Max Dabner with CNN-...What happened in there?... Lieutenant Foster are you happy about-" I forced the voices out of my head and stared down at the floor. I heard Johns voice ordering people to clear the way and for a second mothers hand in mine disappeared. I looked up and my eyes jumped around the crowd, desperate to find her. John must've felt me stop moving, because he stopped himself and looked around.

            "Come on," He ordered and I was about to protest, but he shook his head. "she's already down the block." I wanted to ask how, but he shook his head again. I nodded and together we navigated our way through the crowd of overzealous reporters. Thankfully, another family must've exited the court house because their attention was derived back to the doors. As soon as we made it down the stairs and onto the main street, mother was standing on the corner, talking somebody.