Deadly Lies- Chapter 3

"Hey, look who's calling," Michael joked, "John not picking up?"

            "Very funny." I grumbled, sitting on the kitchen counter with my legs crossed at the ankles.

            "What's wrong sour puss?"

            "Did you call me a few minutes ago?" I asked unable to restrain myself from biting my thumbnail.

            "Not that I'm aware of. I was taking a nap so I could've slept walked or something." Michael said in a serious tone.

            "Michael I'm serious." I said hopping of the counter.

            "So am I...what's wrong?" He asked with an edge in his voice. "Did something happen?" Ever since the Ride-A-Longs were cancelled, the four of us were closer than ever. The boys felt as though they owed me their lives, while Jenny saw herself as the mother watching over us. I was left with the job of a child, having others watch over me and hating ever second.

            "No nothing, it's probably just Jenny or Cam prank calling me." I said working over the idea.

            "Probably, they went out to get food before you awoke me from my beauty sleep."

            "What beauty do you speak of?" I laughed, already foreseeing his hurt expression.

            "Go harass someone else and let me regenerate my beauty!" Michael huffed before a quick chuckle and we hung up.   

                  Grabbing a plate from the cupboard, I stared at the food before me. The strange combination of colors may have looked interesting, but my stomach wasn't enthusiastic to try it. I scooped out a kitten sized portion of the "food" and placed it into the microwave. After microwaving the cuisine I sat down at the table, eyeing the creation. With a final breath, I stabbed at it with my fork and brought it to my mouth, chunks of the colorful dish were hanging off.

            Without any more stalling, I stuffed the fork into my mouth. As slow as a turtle, I chewed on the gummy-esque consistency. My stomach protested with startled gurgles as I forced the contents down. I chucked the rest of the food back into the casserole dish and put it back in the fridge. Note to self: Never again! I scavenged the shelves for any type of editable food and felt my heart swell with joy when I spotted something red hidden behind a carton of milk. I latched onto the apple with a dying mans grip and patted my stomach.

            "It's not a feast, but it will do." I said washing the apple and my stomach agreed with another grumble. "If mom asks, it was delicious." I grinned at the apple, and bit into its tangy skin.     

            After my plentiful lunch, I grabbed my book bag and wandered into my room. I went through a quick list in my mind, trying to remember if any homework was assigned. Dropping the bag beside my bed, I laid down and closed my eyes. An evil cinematographer residing within my mind decided to play a little movie for me.

             I watched myself sitting up on the stand, with both Edward and Henderson looking at me, a gleam of excitement clear in their eyes. Their enthusiasm looked vicious, almost manic. Their lawyer, dressed in a new crisp suit, that was ironed to the T, was pacing around the room. His glasses were slipping on his hook like nose, making him appear birdlike. He trained his beady eyes onto my own, locking onto his target.

            "Would you please tell the court, Miss Gram, what exactly is your  relationship with Mr. Foster?" Before I could answer, the defendant lawyer threw his right hand up. "I'll tell you myself what it is, kind people of the state! She is nothing more than an infatuated child, who will spew forth any kind of lies that will benefit her love interest and do you know who that is?"