Deadly Lies- Chapter 2

"Miss Sophie Gram." One of the police officers, who looked to be in his late forties, greeted me, he was tall and quite lanky. His ginger colored hair was cut short and his brown eyes contrasted his pale skin. "I'm Officer Bonlet and this is my partner Officer Jenner." Officer Bonlet pointed to the man beside him, who appeared younger, with a fair set of blonde hair and brown eyes.

            "Hello." I smiled and walked a little further into the room.

            "Don't worry you're not in trouble." Officer Bonlet smiled and reached down, snapping a button on his pants. Reaching in, he pulled out a piece of paper and walked towards me. "Lieutenant Foster would've delivered the order himself, but there were- more pressing matters."

            I bit my cheek as he handed me the beige colored paper. Without a seconds thought, my eyes devoured the words on the paper. The bold words at the top of the page captured my attention first. United States District Court. Below the title was written: State of New York v. James Henderson and Edwards Laverne. I swallowed the thick ball of bile in my throat and looked up. I didn't have to read any further to know that I was summoned to speak in court.

            "If you do not wish to speak-"

            "No." I said looking at the three men and smiled tightly. "I'll do it."

            "You're very brave." Officer Jenner spoke, an honest smile decorating his face. I nodded and folded up the paper, shoving it into my pocket.

            "It's about time they be put away." All three men nodded in agreement. After saying their goodbyes, the officers left with a quick pat on my shoulder. I placed my hand against my jeans, feeling the paper through the denim. Mr. Williams was looking at me.  

            "You don't have to do it." He said motioning for me to sit down. I declined his offer. "There is enough evidence-"

            "Mr. Williams I have to do it. My...friend lost his family and I'm certain he wasn't the only one. Men like them can't be allowed to live without any consequences." I said balling my fingers into fists. He nodded and a smile peeped out from underneath his graying mustache.

            "I understand, but how are you doing?" He asked leaning in.

            "I'm good." I smiled, slightly taken aback by his question. "Everything is just fine."

            The rest of the day dragged on with countless people all wanting to know the same thing: What happened? I shook my head at their curiosity and breathed a sigh of relief once the final bell rang. I walked towards the meet up spot by Mr. Capelins science room and easily found Jenny's eager eyes. Countless questions rushed out of her mouth, not allowing me a moment to answer.                      

            "Jenny." I groaned rubbing the heel of my palm into my forehead. "One question at a time."

            "Sorry sorry," She laughed and held the front door open for me, "Looks like you'll have to tell me later, Mr. Scrumptious is already here."

            My eyes traveled across the stream of people to the front gates of the school. Leaning against the metal gate was John. His eyes were locked with mine and a forced smile was straining on his lips. I chuckled at his attempt to conceal his uniform by paired a white v-neck with his dark blue police pants. As we approached, he straightened up and the tension in his body became visible. Something was bothering him.