Deadly Lies- Chapter 16

Dressed in an orange jumpsuit, Edward Laverne was seated in the middle of the room. Aside from a single chair, a table and small window, there was nothing else to be illuminated by the naked bulb hanging above us. Laverne was reclining back in the plastic chair, his hands lay clasped on the table, a smug smile decorating his lips.

            "I'll be right outside." The guard said and handed John something. I watched as the guard closed the door shut behind him, leaving alone with the fiend.

            "Miss me already?" Laverne asked, his eyes aglow with mischief.

            John pushed me behind his back and didn't waste any time. John walked over to him and something rang as it hit the metal, bolted to the ground, table.

            "What's this?" I heard Laverne ask, a hint of curiosity in his voice. Peaking over Johns shoulder, I noticed that John had placed a piece of paper and pencil before Laverne. Laverne's face contorted with confusion as he started at the materials before him.

            "Write the words Tango and Sierra." John ordered and Laverne answered by putting his hands in the air, showing the shackles binding his wrists.

            "No can do Johnny." He grinned, shaking his hands for good measure, the metal clinking against one another.

            "Try." Johns voice sent shivers up my spine.

            "And if I don't want to?" He asked reclining back in the chair and in the blink of an eye, John was no longer standing in front of me. Instead, his hand was curled around a doe eyed Laverne's neck.

            "You will." John hissed into his ear. Laverne flailed about wildly, desperate to get a breath, but John squeezed harder. For a second I thought John was going to choke him into unconsciousness, but at the last second Laverne shouted out.

            "O-ooo-kay!" He wheezed out and John let go of him. Taking in deep breaths, Laverne awkwardly took hold of the pencil and began scribbling on the paper. Walking over, I stared at the paper unable to understand what was written on it.  

            "He told you to write, not doodle." I said in my most even voice.

            "I'll take that as a compliment." Laverne rasped, wincing.

            "Write the words." I said crossing my arms.

            "My my Johnny, didn't think your woman wore the pants in this relationship." Looking at John, I shook my head. This was just another ploy to rile us up.   

            "Why don't you just write the words so you can go back to rotting in your cell like the scum you are?" I asked sweetly, which earned me a smile from Laverne and a stoic expression from John.

            "That's more like it!" Laverne laughed a throaty laugh and rubbed at his neck. "But sorry I couldn't impress you." He said nodding towards the paper.  

            I looked at the paper again and realized that the squiggles actually did amount to the words Tango and Sierra. It looked nothing like the artistic loops of the notes that were being left behind at the murder scenes. Looking up at John, his face remained cryptic.

            "Write your name." I said pushing the paper back at him.     

            "I can assure you sweetheart, I know how to write" He said picking the pencil back up, but he wasn't holding it like before. This time the pencil was clasped in his fist like a knife.