12

The bus stopped in the academy's parking lot and Amara immediately grabbed her bag

The bus stopped in the academy's parking lot and Amara immediately grabbed her bag. She could see her dad's Ferrari from the window. She was already on the aisle when she bent down to address Elijah.

"One week," she said, not hiding the threat in her voice, and trudged to the exit.

Amara didn't want to talk to Primo yet and spending time with her dad was the best way to forget their fight. She slid in the shotgun seat. "Hi, Dad! Miss me?"

"We all do, princess."

She kissed his cheek and put on the seatbelt. "Why did you pick me up though? Aren't you busy?"

"I am. But Aiken wanted to eat outside so I left work early and Thomas got your message just in time," he explained. "They're waiting for us."

"What? So, you're gonna leave me if I didn't text Gramps?"

Her dad chuckled. "We didn't know when you were coming. And frankly, I thought you're gonna hang out with that boy."

Amara sighed as she remembered Primo again. "You don't really like him, do you, Dad?"

"I'm your father, princess. I believe no boy would be good enough for you." Castor Luciano stepped on the gas as he resumed talking. "But... I admit that Primo has some... few great qualities."

She gaped at her dad. "Seriously?"

"No. Forget I said that."

Amara leaned against the window as she smiled at her father's words. "We had a misunderstanding. I hate him right now."

"What happened?"

"He... he didn't listen to me. I hate it. He's so annoying." Amara was pouting now. Her dad really brought out her bratty side.

"Is it important that he listened to you?" the older man asked. "You two are best friends but at the end of the day, it's his life. And your role is to be there for him even if he makes bad decisions."

Amara shut her eyes close. "But I'm only looking out for him!"

"You can do that without being a bitch to him."

Amara chuckled at how ironic it was for her dad to come to Primo's defense. "So, when Mom makes bad decisions you just let her be?"

"Of course not. I fight her on it but in the end, it's her choice. Your mom did learn from all her mistakes," he answered. "You're still young, princess. There are people you'll meet that you want to either stay or leave. You just gotta figure out where Primo falls between those two."