27

Sweat rolled down the princess's forehead despite the air conditioning of Primo's car

Sweat rolled down the princess's forehead despite the air conditioning of Primo's car. She wrung her fingers together, distress seeping into her every pore.

"Princess? Are you that nervous?"

Her eyes flashed open with rage. "Isn't it obvious?"

Primo sighed as he scratched his temple. "What do you want to do?"

Amara ran her teeth over her bottom lip. She wasn't keen on facing her schoolmates' judgment. Most of them didn't care but she was aware that popularity comes with jealousy. And envy could transform into baseless hate as long as there was a channel for it.

Her blunder caught on camera was the perfect opportunity to let out those repressed feelings.

It seemed that appearing too perfect had backfired on her.

"I'm gonna skip," she said.

"Are you sick?" Primo raised a brow and placed a palm on her forehead.

She chuckled. "I just want to skip! Let's go play at the sports center."

Primo shrugged. "I'm gonna get you there but I have to attend Evans' lecture."

"Why?" she inquired as he started the car and drove away from the school. Amara recalled that Mr. Evans was the home economics teacher and seniors did not have that subject.

"The speaker's a chef. I'm interested."

"Will there be a free taste?"

Primo smirked as amusement glistened in his eyes. "Don't worry. You know you're my official taster, right? I'll let you taste a lot of delicious things."

Amara set her hand on his thigh, aware of his stupid joke. "What things?"

He laughed, shaking his head. "I'm joking. And I'm driving, naughty girl. Stop it."

Amara leaned back and let the relaxed atmosphere wash over her. She didn't want to think about her social problems or her time-limited relationship.

"We're here."

"Thanks, baby," she muttered and kissed his cheek before exiting the car. Amara spotted Zeke and his college teammates. They were about to enter the gymnasium. "Nice timing."

Amara waved at the college boys and called out for Zeke. He stopped in the middle of his conversation though a boy's arm remained around his shoulders.