38

Amara was bored

Amara was bored. She picked at the basil leaves with her fork as the man continued talking about genome editing and making biological weapons.

"So, you perfected gene editing but you wanna use it by making weapons?" she asked. The baked macaroni wasn't delicious and all she could target was the guy's ethics.

"Well, that's where the money is," he replied with a chuckle. "What? Am I really debating money with the daughter of a gambling lord?'

Amara kept her mouth shut. She couldn't say anything whenever his dad's businesses would come up. Thankfully, the lunch had ended. She sent her father all of her concerns.

Fine. Not the Contis. You'll meet Russo later.

Amara growled as she stepped into a taxi. She called her father. "Dad, come on. It was one date after the other!"

"Yes. So, you could choose well."

"Dad!" she whined.

"Amara, it's only temporary. You don't even need to meet your fiancé. I'll work it out so these bastards back off."

Amara sighed, pressing her fingers on her temples. "Can I meet the next one tomorrow?"

"Fine," her father replied. "Are you sure you and that boy can't work out your relationship?"

"You mean Primo?" Amara knew her mother had kept quiet about the reason for her injured hand. "Dad, do you prefer him now?"

"Nah. But at least you know him. The last thing I want is to let some stupid stranger think they own you."

"But we can't always get what we want, right?"

"If you say so..."

Amara had gotten hurt because of Primo's words. She deserved it. They weren't like her parents anyway.

Being friends was their destiny.

The next day, Amara was overjoyed that her dad had canceled the lunch date. She typed a lot of emojis and relaxed on her seat as she drank her chamomile tea. "Finally! I don't have a date!"

"Great! Should we go shopping later?" Isla asked beside her as the lunch bell rang.

"Nah," she replied. Amara didn't bother hiding her displeasure.

"Café?"

"And what? You'll blame me for ruining your diet."

Isla chuckled. "How about watching Zeke's game?"

Amara arched an eyebrow. "And you know that because?"

A sheepish smile decorated her face as her cheeks turned rosy. "We texted a lot after the party. I hope that's okay?"

Amara remained aloof before she smirked. "He's hot, isn't he?"

She squealed. "Right? Have you seen those biceps?"

They snickered and continued gushing over Zeke's hotness. Students filtered into the cafeteria that chatters filled the air. They were nearing graduation so their school works were almost nonexistent.

Amara looked up when Primo and his friends went in. She noticed that he and Elijah were talking again. She couldn't help but smile at the sight. It further cemented her belief that things had worked out for the best.

"So? Zeke's game? Or are you gonna stare at Primo forever?"

She pouted at Isla's jeers. "Sure. We have nothing to do anyway. And I need to relax so I'll be ready on Friday."

Isla's mouth opened for a reply but she stopped as someone sat on Amara's other side. "Nat?"

Amara rolled her eyes as she saw Natasha. The girl was dressed in a thick blue coat and simple jeans. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah." She forced a smile. "I'm here to say goodbye."

"Goodbye, then," Amara muttered. She had no hard feelings for the girl. Well, maybe a little bit. She'd always remember the petty shit she had to go through because of Natasha's lies.

Natasha crossed her arms as she shot her a petulant look. "Amara, am I not forgiven?"

"I don't really give a shit. Bye, Nat! Safe trip," she muttered.

"Alright." The girl shook her head with a small chuckle. "Just remember you and Primo wouldn't be together without my interference."

Amara rolled her eyes. Even with saying goodbye, the girl was being annoying.

"Take care, Nat," Isla said. "Hit me up whenever you want to hang out. I'll drag Amara."

"Ugh, no way." Amara sipped from her cup as the mood lightened with Isla and Natasha's heartfelt goodbye.

The girl was halfway to the exit when she turned back. She cupped a hand around her mouth. "It was me who cheated on Primo, by the way."

Amara choked on her tea as the hall erupted in murmurs. She chuckled at Natasha's leaving form. "Now, that was a proper goodbye."

✘✘

Amara wrung her hands together as she took several deep breaths. Today was her competition and Carnegie Hall was filled with both participants and audience. This wasn't her first time but the fact that her accompanist was late sent apprehension to her nerves.

"Amara!" Isla entered the lobby with Zeke and his parents in tow.

She frowned at the sight. "Why are you with them?"

Isla flicked the hair from her face. "Of course not! I met him by the entrance."

Zeke stomped closer to her as his parents went inside. "Hey, Amara. If you're wondering why I'm here, it's because dad likes watching things like this. I promised he isn't here to bother Primo."

Amara nodded. "It's fine. I don't think he'll come anyway."

"What? Why?"

"They're on a break," Isla said before she could warn her.

Zeke turned to her, worry visible on his brown eyes. "Is it because I asked for your help? You know I could talk to him—"

"No, it's fine, Zeke. We had issues and I don't really need that before my competition. I'm nervous enough as it is."

"Is something wrong?" Isla inquired, glancing behind her. "Your parents are already inside, right? Why are you still here?"

"I'm waiting for Miss Jang." She bit her lip, pacing back and forth for a possible backup plan. Her phone chimed. A message swiped up from the pianist. "Fuck. She had an emergency. What should I do?"

Her world shattered. She had worked hard for this day. She had even managed to get her hand to work and yet, there was another wall in front of her. Why weren't things working out for her?

Maybe this was a sign that this wasn't her path.

"I can do it."

Their heads swiveled to the speaker.

Amara sobbed in relief as Primo stood in front of her.