39

With four simple words, Amara's heart stopped quaking

Primo smiled at her, bending forward until their foreheads touched. He wiped her tears. "Don't cry, princess."

She sobered up, pushing him backward. "Uhm, what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you."

Amara barely heard the sound of the crowd as Primo's heated gaze locked her in place. Isla squealed next to her, muttering about a prince charming before Zeke dragged her away.

"Primo, you said you will play for me? Are you sure?"

Primo shrugged. "Fine."

It wasn't fine at all. Her best friend not only make mistakes in front of a crowd but also freeze up whenever he was on stage.

Amara followed him backstage while he read the sheet music for Saint-Saëns Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso in A minor. They sat on black leather sofas while Primo continued tapping his fingers to practice.

"Primo..."

"Stop it, Amara. I owe you this."

"But what if—"

He turned to her, his deep blue eyes scanning her black lacy dress and how it hugged her soft curves. "You're beautiful."

She swallowed, fighting the rush of blood to her cheeks. Weren't they supposed to be friends? Why was she feeling hot all of a sudden? Amara glared at him. "Stop it."

"Stop what?"

"What you're doing!" she hissed as the other contestants shot them odd looks. He was about to reply when she raised a warning finger. "Stop changing the subject."

Primo rolled his eyes. "I'll be fine."

"You said you'd never play onstage!"

"I can break every promise I have ever made when it comes to you, Amara."

Her breath hitched at his declaration. Amara reached for his hand. "Alright. But if you feel uncomfortable, you can stop okay? I won't blame you."

Primo grasped her hand, his thumb rubbing circles on her palm. "No. This is important to you, right?"

Amara frowned. "What are you talking about? I know that you only feel pain and sadness from the piano."

"Amara—"

"To me, there's nothing more important than your happiness."

He lowered his gaze as his grip tightened on her hand. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for all the things I said, Amara. I didn't mean it. I appreciate everything you do for me."

"It's okay, Primo. I also said some things." Their eyes met and Amara smiled. They were standing on stable ground again, their friendship wasn't breaking apart after the tremors that shook it. "We'll be fine."