18

If someone told her, she'd be infatuated enough to follow a guy to work

If someone told her, she'd be infatuated enough to follow a guy to work... well, it was impossible. Amara didn't like leaving things to chance. She'd weigh the options first if the decision was truly worth it.

It was his fault. Those damn brown eyes got her distracted.

"Amara, was it?" he mumbled as they took the elevator.

"So, you really don't know me?"

Zeke's forehead knitted as he shook his head. "Are you a vlogger or something? 'Cause I don't watch those."

Amara chuckled. "No. But I understand that you're more into sports. Is that why?"

"Kind of." He shrugged. "Listen..." Zeke turned to her. "About the other day, I'm sorry for being harsh. I think you're really talented."

Her ears perked up and warmth blossomed on her chest. She liked compliments after all. "Thanks. It's not gonna be a career though."

"How are you so sure? You're still young. Wait. Why aren't you in school?"

She licked her lips. "It's my birthday yesterday. I'm allowed to skip."

Zeke laughed, rubbing at his forehead. "Is that a rule now?"

Amara thought maybe her impulsive decision wasn't so bad. She wanted to know this man more. "What are you applying for anyway?"

"A waiter."

What!

She regretted following him instantly. No matter how hot he was. Amara was stretched thin at being nice. And now, she would work in the service industry? Oh, no.

The doors opened and they stepped out. Amara saw the restaurant with its golden interiors and white columns. Her heartbeat thudded because the owner was none other than her Aunt Mallorie.

She bit her lip as Zeke ushered her inside. Her eyes met with her aunt's questioning gaze.

"Good morning, ma'am. I'm here to apply—"

"I know," Aunt Mallorie said and held out her palm. She waited for Zeke to pull his papers from his bag.

Amara put a finger against her lips, begging her aunt to stay quiet. She was here now. She'd reprimand herself for this stupid decision later.

Her aunt lifted an eyebrow before she addressed her. "And you, young lady?"

"Uhm..." Amara cleared her throat. "I already gave you my resumé yesterday... ma'am."