Chapter 20

Trigger Warning: Talks of Rape

It was finally Friday and I couldn't wait for this week to end, although I hadn't been in school it had been a long enough week. The shooting had messed everyone up and I couldn't help but blame myself somewhat for it because of Knox. What if I didn't try to run, then what would've happened? My dad was freaked out enough as well and Aster and I both had to convince him I was ok to be here in New York.

There was a race tonight and we all decided to go to some club after in order to escape the madness that had been going on lately. I tightened my leather jacket around me as we pulled up to the race and Aster went to find parking but dropped me off in the mean times.

I was dressed in a typical uniform, black skinny jeans, a plain white shirt, leather jacket, and black heels. I made my through the crowd and headed over to the rest of the gang but was quickly stopped by a girl with tanned skin, black long hair, and brown eyes. She stood at the same height as me and crossed her arms over her chest as a smirk tugged at her lips.

"Can I help you?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow at her as she scanned me up and down. "Aspen, is it? I'm Katarina but I can also be your worst nightmare."

"Right.." I trailed off, starting to walk past her when she grabbed me by the bicep and pushed me back "Now now, don't walk away from me. I have some things to discuss with you."

"Ambrosia!" A voice yelled, and I turned around to see Cypress jog up to me and stare down Katarina "Back off Katarina, you know no one wants you around here."

"Oh please." She rolled her eyes at me, but before I could say anything Cypress had pulled me away from her and we started to walk towards the rest of the gang where they were all gathered. "Katarina is Knox's girlfriend, she's a Coinston. Just made that her boyfriend is most wanted right now, don't even get involved with her." Cypress explained as we came to a stop where everyone stood around.

"Ambrosia!" Archer clapped his hands together "I'm putting you in the race."

"W-What?" I blinked in total shock. I couldn't race, I mean I drove Pierce's challenger and all but wasn't prepared for anything like a drag race where you have to drift at the highest speeds. "There's got to be a first for everything. You'll go with Pierce, we need to start testing the water with you. No more playing it safe." Archer insisted.

They were kidding..Right? They could not seriously be putting me in a drag race that I'm sure had thousands betting on. Aster soon made his way over with Evangeline where they joined over with Xander and Archer.

"You got this." Alexandria and Harley tried to give me a pep talk as it was obvious the nervousness was radiating off of me. The race was about to start and I could feel my heartbeat in my chest as it started to pick up speed. "Pierce, Aspen, you guys are up first," Archer announced and I hesitantly moved towards the challenger.

Pierce handed me the keys and I got into the driver's seat, adjusting the seat and mirrors to fit my height compared to Pierce's. Pierce and I both buckled up and I hit the push start button, the engine starting up as it roared.

"Fuck up my car, and I'll fucking kill you," Pierce warned, making me swallow a lump in my throat as I clutched the steering wheel with my hands. Cars lined up and the crowd of people parted to the sides as everyone watched intently. The flag girl walked out to the middle and I put my hand on the gear changer, taking the car out of park into drive, switching my foot from park to drive.

I watched intently at what felt like took forever for her to wave the flags. "Remember the highway and everything I told you, the most important part is to gain the lead immediately. Accelerate but don't lose traction on the tires, you'll spin." Pierce reminded me, making me recall the time I drove the car on the highway.