Chapter 26

TRIGGER WARNING: TOPICS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT

"What am I even supposed to wear?" I rambled to Juniper over the phone while staring at my reflection in my full-length mirror. "Just wear the dress you sent me a picture of, it's perfect. Don't overthink it." Juniper insisted "We'll be there in less than five." 

I smoothed out the silk dress I had on paired with my black stiletto heels. As someone who always hated heels, they've grown on me a lot after being required to ruin them every day. Although my feet may not agree with all the damage they do. I ran my hands down the dress, smoothing it out and clasping a necklace around my neck. The dress was the same dress I wore to the birthday party but just a black version, and I was thankful I did buy it when I did. 

I headed downstairs where Aster was making dinner for him and Evangeline. "Aspen I really don't like you going and being around Mr. Gunner-" Aster started and I rolled my eyes in response "Pierce will be there, I'll be fine."

"Ok well if you get into any trouble, please call me immediately, and don't stay out too late; it is a school night." Aster narrowed his eyes at me, making me nodded in agreement. I heard a car horn, signaling Pierce and Juniper were here already and I bid my goodbyes before heading outside. I hurried to the car in order to escape the cold winter air, hopping in the passenger seat while June had moved to the back.

"Hey." She flashed me a smile and I flashed her one back as I buckled up before Pierce took off towards the road. I scanned over Pierce who was dressed in a black suit with a black tie and it was a different sight from the black leather jacket and a white t-shirt every day. Pierce glanced over me, cocking an eyebrow at me in confusion.

"You clean up nice, Gunner," I admitted, Pierce did look nice. He could make any girl fall with the tuxedo effect playing in his cards. We were headed to a restaurant called "Blue", which was apparently one of the fanciest up-class restaurants around here. The dinner was an annual thing for the Gunner family, where they all got together before the end of the year and had a fancy night out. Although Mr. Gunner had often found business clients at the restaurant because the rich make the best clients for selling drugs to. 

I had never been, but Aster had told me it was extreme fine-dining, a lot of important events took place there. They even had a whole ballroom for customers and a live band to be playing at all times. To say I was nervous had been an understatement, Mr. Gunner wasn't the friendliest of people. Or maybe he was just too friendly. I watched the road ahead and we soon made it to the restaurant that had taken place in the middle of the city. 

Pierce pulled up to the front of the entrance where a man came around and took Pierce's keys. All three of us had gotten out of the challenger while the man parked the car elsewhere. Juniper was dressed in a short black dress that had a deep-v and hugged her body in the right places. Juniper took the lead, walking into the doors while Pierce and I stood back. I took a deep breath in, and I could tell Pierce knew I was nervous.

"He's not going to touch you." Pierce narrowed his eyes at me, his insisting made me feel a little better. I knew Pierce wasn't one to be scared to stand up to his dad and if anything were to happen, he'd be the first to stop it. I nodded slightly in agreement before following Pierce into the restaurant that was filled with people. Chandeliers were hung everywhere, lighting up the room with bright light. The tables were covered with a black table-cloth with centerpieces of roses that were placed at each table. Waiter's were dressed in black attire with a white button-up underneath, going from table to table and offering more champagne. There was a man who was on the stage, playing a soft melody on the piano.

We walked through, soon coming to where the rest of the Gunners had been sat. Mr. and Mrs. Gunner both took a seat at the heads of the table while the rest of the Gunner kids took their seats at the table.