Chapter 34

Demi's POV

It's been a whole two months since Emma's been here in the hospital. I hate seeing my baby deteriorate from all of this. The leukemia makes her weak, the Chemo makes her not want to eat, and the radiation makes it almost impossible for her to eat. If she consumes food, it'll usually come back up, so the nurses have had to feed her through a tube that makes the food go directly into her stomach. I can tell she's not enjoying life, yet she's still standing strong.

"We have a package her for Ms. Emma," one of the nurses said. The nurses here are actually very nice, and they try their best to comfort those who are here. She brings in a huge basket full of various stuffed animals. Anything from teddy bears to bunnies to dogs to even giraffes. If you name an animal, it'll probably be in there. I was amazed at how many there was. It had to be rolled in on a cart, the package was so big. Emma's eyes were huge, matching her smile that I hadn't seen in what felt like the longest time. "And here's the card," the nurse said, handing me a big envelope. It was one of those giant cards.

"Do you want to read it, or do you want me to?" I asked Emma.

Even though she had brightened up, she was still tired and weak. "Can you read it, Mommy?" She asked.

I smiled and nodded before beginning to read.

Dear Emma,

We've heard about your struggling, and we just want you to know that we are all supporting you. We know you can do it! Remember that no matter what happens, we all love you.

With much love,

Alyssa and the rest of your lovatics from around the world

I could feel myself tear up as I read the huge card. Around the printed message were tons of signatures. Even though the card was huge, the signatures were still crammed together. "Look, Emma, this is everyone who sent you stuff!"

Emma took the card and smiled. I rolled the cart of stuffed animals next to her. "Look up here!" I said, holding up my phone. She held the card up, but it covered her whole face. I chuckled slightly. "Lay the card on your lap so they can see your pretty face," I said. She laid the card down, the smiled at my phone, placing a shaky hand on the mountain of stuffed animals.

I posted the picture with the caption, Thank you so much to Alyssa and the rest of my Lovatics. This is truly amazing. Emma loves it, and it very thankful. We love you with all our hearts!

I hit send, and tons of shares comments, and likes popped up. I watched as my daughter continued to be amazed by all of the stuffed animals.

-

A few more weeks have gone by, and of course, Emma's getting worse. Every night, the doctor says that it could be her last, yet she always pull through. It amazes me how much she has fought this. One night, she seemed worse than ever, which words could not explain. "Emma, I am so proud of you." I whispered as I held her hand.

"Anything for you, Mommy," she whispered back, her voice barely audible.

I furrowed my eyebrows, and my heart sunk in realization. "Emma, are you fighting all of this just for me?" She nodded her head, a half smile forming on her face. "Emma, do this for you. If you are doing this, do it for you, not anyone else."

"I can't do it for me."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm not strong by myself. I need to have a reason. Your my reason." Oh, God, I'm the reason my baby's suffering. How selfish have I been to keep my girl fighting! This wasn't fair on her. I'm so proud, but so disappointed at myself. A single tear fell from my face, and she slowly brought up her shaking hand to wipe it off my cheek. "Don't cry for me, Mommy."

"If you want to let go, go ahead. I won't be upset with you. No one will. They'll understand. Emma, if you feel like you can't do it anymore, donn't torture yourself. That's even more heart-breaking."

Her lip started to tremble, but she had no strength left in her body to cry. She hiccuped, but no tears formed. "I want to stay with you, but it's so hard." I nodded, biting my lip as I tried to hold in tears. "It hurts," she whispered.

I kept nodding. "I know, sweetie, I know. Don't let me be the cause of your suffering, Emma. Do what you would be happier with."

There was silence for a while before she spoke again. "Can you sing, Mommy?" I nodded as I tried to think of what to sing. I didn't want one of my songs. I knew which one she knew and loved. She's been singing it for a while now.

Cause honey your soul

could never grow old

it's evergreen

baby your smile's

forever in my mind

in memories

Emma started to sing in her weak voice as the chorus came up.

But baby now

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

place your hand on my beating heart

I'm thinking out loud

maybe, we found love right where we are

And maybe, we found love right where we are

By now, constant tears were silently streaming down my face. "I'll be okay," I whispered.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

And then, before I could even have her for a year, my sweet girl was gone.
The End.

Thank you so so so much for reading! I never thought this would get so many people's attention. By the time I finished, I had 5.5k reads! Thank you for your views and votes! Love you!