Chapter 21

Demi's POV

"Do you want to try to eat some dinner?" I asked after a while of watching more TV. Emma looked up at me, stuck her bottom lip out, and shook her head. "Can you try to eat something?" She shook her head again. "Emma, I want you to at least try."

"But Demi, it makes my stomach hurt," Emma whined. I knew what she meant; it hurt her stomach to throw up. I don't blame her for not wanting to eat, but she hasn't held down anything all day. I want to try until her stomach can sustain something.

"I know, baby, but we need to try. I don't like it when you have an empty stomach," I said as I lightly poked Emma's stomach. She just whined and stuck her bottom lip out at me. "Would you eat chicken strips?" I asked with a smirk.

"Hmm," she said, putting her finger on her chin like she was thinking, "Maybe," she finished slowly.

I smiled at her. "The only problem is we'd have to go somewhere. Can you handle a ride in the car through the drive-thru?"

"Maybe," she said slowly again.

"Come on," I said with a giggle. She was wearing footie pajamas, so I just picked her up and carried her to my car. She still felt light when I set her on my hip, I couldn't believe she was seven. I strapped her in her seat, then got in my seat.

"Can you turn on the music?" I heard Emma ask in her raspy voice. I smiled at her from the rear-view mirror, and turned on the radio. I sang along to the songs and watched her tap her hand on her knee to the beat. I quickly ordered our food, and it didn't take long for it to be delivered to our car. I made it home as soon as I could, and carried Emma and the bag of fast food into the house. I set Emma down on the couch before laying the food out on the coffee table in front of us. Once I sat down, she adjusted herself so she was leaning against me, then grabbed one of her chicken strips. She ate slowly as we watched TV. I watched as her face drained of color and she slowly lowered her chicken strip. Crap. She didn't even say anything before I rushed her into the bathroom. We made it just in time for her to lean over the toilet before the food spilled out. I held her hair out of her face and rubbed her back. I felt so bad. She struggled to support herself as she gagged. After a while of that, she leaned back so her body was resting on mine. "I told you so," she simply stated.

-

It was getting late, so I got Emma to brush her teeth, then I carried her up to her room. I set a glass of water by her bedside table, then I gave her a soft kiss on the forehead. "Good night, baby. I love you," I whispered.

"Good night, Demi. I love you, too." The last sentence faded out as she fell asleep. She just said she loved me. She said she loved me! I walked out of her room and into my own, crawling into my bed. Her words brought tears to my eyes. I went to sleep that night with a smile on my face.

Short and sweet :)