Chapter 8

Demi's POV

Over the past weeks, I've noticed Emma getting closer. I feel like our relationship grows after each day. She also hasn't had anymore nightmares. Not that I know of, anyway. She hasn't had one where she screams, so I wouldn't know. She still doesn't talk much, but that could just always be in her personality. Today, at the park, a couple of girls came up to us and asked for a picture. Emma wouldn't talk, but she did give her small smile. Normally, she would just hide her face. I love the progress she has made. Last night, after I tucked her into bed and started to leave, she told me something that I will probably never forget. She was so tired, I thought she had already gone to sleep. I kissed her forehead, and as I got up, she spoke. "Demi?"

I turned around, almost surprised. "Yeah, baby?"

She took a big yawn before continuing. "I like your kisses. They're nicer than dad's." She drifted off of her last words.

"What do you mean?" I asked, but it was too late. She had already gone to sleep. I kept my confused gaze on her for a few minutes before finally leaving. She could tell me when she's ready.

-

"How about a movie night?" I asked Emma. "It's been a while since we've had one." Emma smiled and nodded. "Do you want to go pick a few out?" She nodded again and headed for my pile of DVDs. I sat down on the couch and waited for her to make her choice. She had the tendency to take a while. She finally came back with some Disney classics. She handed me the one she wanted to watch first, and I set it up in my player. After we went through a couple and I put in a third. It was getting late, but we had no where important to go tomorrow. It was next week that would be crazy. While waiting for DVD to load, I heard Emma's little voice.

"Demi?" I heard her ask.

"Mhmm?" I responded while turning my head to look at her.

"Can, um, can I sit closer?"

Right away, i felt my heart flutter. At the same time, it melted. The look on her face told me that she was almost scared to ask. "Of course you can, sweetie." I said as I opened my arms. She scooted next to me and let her body rest on my side. "You don't ever have to ask me that." I pulled her in close and kissed the top of her head. "I love you." At that, she looked up at me with tears in her eyes while her bottom lip quivered. "Oh, baby, what's wrong?" She didn't say anything, but cried even harder. I picked her up onto my lap and held her like a baby. She was my baby. I gently rocked back in forth while whispering soft, it's okay's, in her ear. She cried and cried until there wasn't anything left. She looked back up at me and I tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "What's wrong?"

"You love me?" She asked through sniffles.

"honey, of course I do."

"Y- you really d-do?"

"Yes, yes. I've loved ever since I met you. That very first time I laid my eyes on you."

"Th-thank you." She said right before putting her head back down.

I lifted her chin up softly, and our eyes met. "You never have to thank me for loving you." I kissed her forehead and I saw her small smile return on her beautiful face.

We continued to watch the movie. We didn't start it over. I wasn't paying attention to it much, and I don't think Emma was either. We just enjoyed being together. I felt like a piece of my heart had been missing for a long time, and she put it back in place. She fell asleep in my arms, so I carefully carried her up to her bed. I laid her down softly, and she stirred a little. I smiled and pushed her hair out of her face. "I love you." I whispered. If she heard me, I knew know she would believe it.