Chapter 2

Emma's POV

We all settled down in the living area and did what we normally do when someone comes to adopt. Most of the girls wanted to look like they were good with interacting with people, so they found groups and talked. I sat in the back alone and drew in my book. I love drawing, and I have a notebook full of pictures that I created. The beginning ones were full of hearts and flowers, but now they are more symbolic. Most of the girls don't understand them, or pay attention to them really. They like to tear them up, though, so my book is always with me or hidden.

"Oh my goodness!" I heard someone say. I looked up and everyone was staring out of the big living area into the hallway where someone was standing. They never have that reaction. I couldn't tell why this person was so important. One of the girls next to me caught on and saw my confused face.

"It's demi Lovato, dork." I looked up at her, still confused. "Do you not know who that is?" She asked shocked. I shook my head. She sarcastically laughed at me and joined the crowd of girls. I shrugged it off and went back to my drawing.

"Girls!" Ms. Abby came in yelling over the excitement. "Let's please treat Ms. Lovato like any other person whose looking to adopt. We don't want to scare her away." After everyone settled down as she went to get Demi. When Demi came in, everyone took a quick glance. They sat up straight with their sweet smiles and giggled with each other. I didn't care. I just stayed with my knees to my chest and my notebook sitting on top of them, drawing. I took a glance up at her and saw she was talking to Samantha.

Yay, I thought to myself, Maybe she will get picked and leave.

She started walking towards me and I fixed my eyes back down at my drawing. I felt her sit down next to me, but I didn't look up at her. "Hi," she said in a cheerful voice. "My name is Demi," she continued. "What's-"

"You shouldn't waste your time with me." I cut her off and stared into her eyes. They were caring. Remembering what I just said, and not wanting to make her upset, I ran out of the room and upstairs to my room, shutting the door behind me. I think Ms. Abby saw me, but I don't care. I plopped down on my bed and cried into my pillow, embarrassed of what just happened. They probably all laughed at me and told Demi how stupid I was. I almost wanted her to pick me. She seemed really nice. Don't fall for it.

Demi's pov

I had been wanting to adopt a child for a while now. It took a while to convince my manager that I am capable. When he finally told me yes, I was overly excited. I searched for care homes and orphanages close by, and settled on "Sweet Smiles Homes for Girls." The closest one to me was #242. After studying the directions on how to get there, I hopped in my car and drove to it. Of course, I got lost anyway, so I ended up typing it in my GPS. When I got there, a ton of girls recognized me instantly. Ms. Abby, the house parent, took me out of their sight. "I'll go talk to them, I'll be right back." She told me. After a few minutes, she came back and led me to where the girls were, then she went into her office across the hall. I walked into the room of cheerful looking faces. Some of them I could definitely tell were fake. I didn't want to adopt a child because they were my fan, I wanted to adopt a child because they would be the right one for me. As I scanned the room, I took notice of a little girl, much smaller than the others, sitting in the corner of the room writing something in a notebook. One of the other girls came up to me.

"Hi," she said overly fake. "My name's Samantha."

"Nice to meet you Samantha," I said smiling back at her.

"No, nice to meet you. I saw you looking over at her a minute ago." she said pointing to the girl in the corner.

"uh-huh," I replied.

"Well you don't want her. She'll be a pain in the butt." She said in arrogance.

"Like you wouldn't," I snapped back. I could tell she was surprised by my response. I walked over to the girl who was sitting alone. Sitting down next to her, I noticed she was drawing. It was amazing for such a young age. "Hi, I'm Demi," I said. No response. "What's-" The she cut me off.

"You shouldn't waste your time with me," She said. She clearly didn't want to be mean, but there was fear in her eyes. They were the most beautiful, hazel eyes I had ever seen. Then she got up and ran off. The room erupted with laughter. I looked across the hall at Ms. Abby, who was shaking her head as she looked back down at her papers. I left the room and walked into her office.

"Who was that?" I asked.

She looked up at me. "Who?"

"The one that ran out of the room. Who is she?"

She sighed and leaned back in her chair. "I'm sorry, Ms. Lovato-"

"Demi." I said, cringing at the use of Ms. Lovato.

"Demi-" she continued. "That was Emma. She gets scared very easily." There was a pause before she continued. "Did you find anyone you're interested in?"

"Emma," I said. "I think I would be interested in Emma."

She sighed again. "She is a very sweet girl, but it's been hard. She doesn't trust anyone except me. "

"Has she had the chance to trust anyone else? Has she lived with anyone else like she lives here with you?"

She took a deep breath, "Yes," she began, "And that is why she doesn't trust." I stared at her, waiting for her to continue. "She's seven years old, and was taken away from her father last year. She trusts me, yes, but not fully. I can still tell she's scared to tell me stuff sometimes. Her father didn't fit my definition of a dad at all. She came here with so many cuts and bruises. She wouldn't talk at all for the first three months. She still doesn't like to talk. She won't say a word to anyone new."

"She talked to me," I said.

"She talked to you?" She said a little surprised.

"Yeah, she said that I shouldn't waste my time with her."

"But she talked. That's what's important, she talked to you."

"Can I see her?"

She nodded. "Upstairs, third door on the right."