Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Ridel’s point of view:                 

It was sundown at the barracks; the time of day when I finished my shift at the watchtower.  From up here I could see the surrounding valley and the river to the east.

The cool air from the ocean came blew past, and I could feel it as it wound through my hair. This tower was one of the best vantage points in Avalon. Sometimes even when I was off duty I would come up just to have a look.

Sunset was amazing from the tower, and the few minutes I had left up here before my replacement flew up I used to just watch. The sun was setting behind the hills, giving the forest upon it a fiery glow. This had to be my favourite time of day.

Other guards on the tower were eagerly awaiting the end of the shift, stretching and moaning about how boring it was.  I would have stayed up here except for the fact I was hungry.

And then out in the distance I saw a group of birds rise into the sky from the tree line. They flew about in circles. I was watching for something strange, when another flock flew up into the darkening sky, only a little way on from where the first lot took off.

I was puzzled and when I asked the other guards, they just ignored me. Being the one of the youngest soldiers here was no help. Disgusted by their attitude I turned back to the forest and willed my eyes to see past the leaves and beyond. It was no use the foliage was just to think.

I rested my head on the wooden bar in front of me, designed to stop the guards falling off. Then a hand slapped me across the back of my head.

“Oy! Sleeping on duty!” said a gruff voice behind me.

“I wasn’t sleeping.” I said, rubbing the sore spot on the back of my head and looking up.

It was the commander of my unit Roran. His grey hair and sharp eyes gave the impression of strength. His was greatly respected by all the troupes. His wings were left uncovered and I marvelled at the complexity of the veins and the rust colour of the membrane.

I had not yet sprouted my wings and others were of great interest to me. I knew the time was coming and anticipated it so much that it was painful. The others at the barracks kept telling me to get a move on.

“I wasn’t sleeping sir.” I repeated facing Roran.

“Don’t worry lad I believe you.” He said patting me on the back, “I’ve been told you are a big daydreamer.”

I was relived, the last faery caught sleeping on guard had to clean the grounds, muck the stables, and work in the kitchen for a full year on top of his regular duties.

At last the rest of the night guards landed on the platform and we were free to go for dinner. Everyone but myself, flew down to the dining hall. I had to climb down the rungs to the ground and walk for my food. Having no wings was very annoying at sometimes.

It took me ten minutes to walk to the dining hall down the dusty hall, it would have taken longer but it was starting to get dark. When I eventually staggered in everybody had taken their feed and were enthusiastically consuming their plates of food.

At least there were no queues. I quietly grabbed a plate and piled it with food and went to sit by Honad. He was one of the oldest faye here and rarely did much other than guard duty.

“Hey Ridel!” He called, “grub’s good!”

Do these people only ever think about food?  I thought.

Before I could respond Honad cut me off, “Hey son, did you hear? A troll got out.”

“Again?” I said exasperated. That was the third one this month.