Chapter 22

Ridels’ Point of view.

I felt a shock course through me but I knew I shouldn’t have been so surprised, but I was really hoping that if Florence handed Verrann the stone that he would let us go. Obviously I was wrong.

I heard him mumble something and the watched in horror as Florence as she fell to the ground. The female elf, Eterali, grabbed her and lifted her up to face me, holding her hands behind her back. I tried to rush forward and help her but a found a sword held at my chest by the male faery with the missing front teeth. He smiled at me and my heart pounded. I was completely surrounded and there was nothing I could do to help Florence.

She was looking at me with a mixture of pity and resentfulness which made me feel hollow. I had never dreamed of her looking at me with anger in her eyes. All I had wanted to do was to protect her and if she was going to hate me for it, then so be it.

I broke our gaze and stared down at the dirt.

“Now you will witness the power of the stone,” Verrann said and I snapped my head up to glare at the madman.

I guessed that we were in a lot of danger I just didn’t know how much.

“You there boy! Bow down to me!” He shouted.

Something had taken control of my body and I couldn’t help but slowly and painfully sink to my knees. I was straining against the command with every ounce of my strength. My heart hammered the inside of my ribs and beads of sweat rolled down my forehead.

However the inevitable happened and my head found its way onto my hands. I was bowing to this mad man. I could hear Florence gasp in outrage.

I was very certain of what the stone did now; all of the legends were true.

“Stand up,” he commanded, “Do you see the truth now girl? You are a traitor to your own people. You have given me the greatest weapon in all of Avalon and the worlds beyond. Every single Faye in this stinking realm will have no choice but to bow down to my will.”

I got back to my feet and stared, my eyes flicking between Florence and Verrann.

“No!” Florence cried.

I could see the pain and bewilderment on her face and it hurt me. I had failed to warn her and now if this mess ever got sorted out she would be charged with treason and at the very least stripped of her wings. I didn’t know about her but that was a punishment that I feared above anything else. I could lose my wings before I even grew them.

I was so sure she had thought that the stone was nothing important, a simple trinket that would guarantee us our freedom.

I was angry that she had not heeded my warning and just handed the stone over, but the action had been done. I would just have to find a way to stop Verrann before he did anything terrible.

“How about we have an demonstration?” Verrann asked of his gang. They all cackled in agreement.

“I want you to slap the little faery across the face Boy.”

Of all the things he could have made me done. I could have done something humiliating or anything but this. Once again I felt my body move without my command and I struggled weakly to stop myself from approaching Florence with little success.

What chilled me more than anything was the way she was staring at me with her wide eyes filled with fear, a look she had worn when she had been hiding from the troll. It was accusing and questioning.

“Florence-I’m-Sorry,” I forced the words out of my lips just before my hand fell across her face.

Her cheek burned red and tears poured in a heavy torrent down her cheeks. She could not meet my eyes, only closing them and turning her head to the ground.

I had done what I had sworn I would not ever do to the girl whom I felt so strongly for. Eterali was right, I was going to betray her and I didn’t have a choice. I wanted to cry myself but now was not the time.

I had no idea how Florence was ever going to forgive me.

The moment I had slapped her the circle had burst into laughter.

“Very good,” Verrann said, “Let’s see what else he can do.”

He paused in thought for a moment, “How about this? Torus in the ring- someone throw him a sword,” turning his gaze back to me he said, “now you will fight.”

A faery entered the circle, his left wing torn and in his hands he held a long, rusty sword. I tried to back away but the spell and hands behind me pushed me back into the circle. A sword was thrust into my grip and I gazed at my opponent.

He was probably twice my size but I had taken on much bigger fighting trolls. I would have been easily able to defeat him as long as he didn’t use magic.

He charged towards me and I dodged to the side. I tried to spear his side but he twisted fluidly and deflected the blow.

I was in my element now. I had been fighting for years. I had the best training in Avalon and on top of that I was able to unleash some of my fury at Verrann on his soldier. It felt good to be able to get some revenge. He would have second thoughts about asking me to do this once I defeated this faery.

Our swords ground against each other making a loud screeching noise. Flakes of rust peeled away from his sword. Faintly I could hear the cheering of the circle behind me.

I pulled my sword away and spun around behind him and tried to get his back, but I had to give it to him he was fast. We exchanged a few blows when my broken arm got in the way and I only rolled out of the way in time.

It must have dislocated itself and it was screaming in pain. I wanted to yell out but as the rusty metal sliced through the air by my ear I knew I would go down fighting. I side stepped and my eyes connected with Florence’s across the circle.

Whatever had happened earlier was now forgotten and she was genuinely worried. I gritted my teeth and tried to block out the pain.

As the faery came lumbering towards me I swiftly ducked under his arm and tripped him over before he could see what I was doing. I had him flat on his back, the sword ready to press through his back and his heart-

“Stop,” Verrann said and immediately I released the weapon, “that is enough.”

Verrann exchanged glances with the other male elf, the one who had captured me in the first place. He nodded back to Verrann.

“It is agreed on the task that you shall have to do. It is very simple boy and you won’t want to mess it up,” he stepped forward until he was looking straight down at me, I could see his eyes darting around under the mask, “You are to kill the king and the queen.”