Chapter 13

I slipped out of my room and checked the corridor. For some reason the palace staff made me feel uneasy. I preferred not being around them. The fact that I was half-Faye made them wrinkle their noses but they couldn’t say anything aloud, I was still nobility after all.

It was still hard to believe that my mother was a princess. When I had arrived with Ridel a few days ago she was the first person I met. She had rushed down the stairs of the palace and wrapped her arms around me. Tears of joy splashed down her face. I had stood there awkwardly, Ridel even more so.

After kissing me on the cheek she had taken my hand and led me into her chambers in the west wing. She sat me down and sent her servants off on other errands so that we could have some privacy.

And then she explained everything, how she met my father, who she was and who I was now that I had to live in Avalon. She told me that she was the Duchess of the 1st City in Avalon. There were seven cities in all. They were mostly inhabited by faeries but also housed a large variety of other Faye. The 6th City which was near the main mountain range was densely populated by dwarves. The 3rd City, in the Whisper’s Forest, was home to elves. And the 7th city was where the dragon sanctuary was located. I learnt that the 1st City was home to the Royal family and was located in the centre of Avalon. Control of Avalon was based here.

I listened with wide eyes and amazement. The more she talked the more I felt myself begin to forgive my mother. She had no choice but to leave me. It was not her fault. It was not enough to make me forget. I didn’t think that the scars on my heart would ever truly fade.

As soon as we were done talking she took me to a room close to hers which she told me was going to be my room. I would have a servant to command. Then she left me to think and explore.

The first thing I did was change into my pajamas which I had brought in my bag and then a crawled into the giant four poster bed which sat in the middle of the room. I was asleep within minutes.

I awoke the next day at about noon, which was hardly surprising since I had spent half the night walking through the park and then the city only to spend until near dawn talking with my mother. I had a right to sleep in.

The last few days were all a blur. Ridel had taking me on tours around the city as promised, showing me a different sector every day. All the time he was wearing his Imperial Army uniform. I had been fitted for new clothes that would both not crush my wings and fit into the fashion of the faeries.

I was beginning to feel more comfortable all round. Part of me was scolding myself for forgetting how it used to be but I had to let go, there was no future for me in the human world any more. Despite all of that something still hadn’t sunk in, it was as though something was out of place.

I was wearing one of the new pieces of clothing I had received as I walked through the long palace corridors. It was a simple, blue, silk dress with a very low back. I walked barefoot as were per custom. Palace life sure was comfortable but I didn’t think I could ever get used to it. I pitied my mother for being locked up here. A prisoner in her own home.

Today Ridal was taking me for a walk outside of the city. I met him at the palace gates and looked uneasily at the sword he had sheathed upon his back.

Unlike the day before Ridel remained silent as he walked me to the edge of the city. He walked confidently and calmly even though I could sense something was not entirely right.

I barely glanced twice at the marble buildings of the city that had wonderstruck me when I first arrived. After touring I discovered how alike the city planning was to a Roman city. It felt as though I was in a very expensive replica or a high-end movie set.