Chapter 10

With a nervous glance I checked the sky outside my window from between the closed shutters. It was still too light, meaning I would be trapped in my room for a few more hours. It wasn’t like I didn’t have anything to do though. Two overnight bags sat on the end of my bed, half-filled with clothes and other possessions. My father and I had already agreed to tell my step-mum that I was leaving to go live my mum. This was mostly true. Once I got to Avalon I would no doubtedly be placed under her care.

 I went and sat down on the end of my bed and stared blankly at the wall. I was going to have to give up my life as I know it. Worst of all I couldn’t even say goodbye. Poor Sam, I thought, I’ll have to come back one day and explain to her what happened. I can only hope that she can forgive me.

Turning my attention back my bags I quickly rummaged through them to check what I had already packed. Most of my clothes were already there, all I had left to pack were items of a far more personal nature. I knew space was limited but I had no idea what to take. It is not every day that you have to start a new life.

I had narrowed it down to the items which I had laid on my bed cover to half a dozen things. Mostly they were photo albums or treasured toys. I was surprised to find that it would all fit into the two overnight bags easily. I stuffed my things in and then carefully zipped up the bags.

I stood back to admire my handiwork. I thought flew through the back of my mind. How was I supposed to start over when I was clinging to my current life, my old life? I went over to my desk and grabbed my school bag, purposely up turning the contents onto the floor.

Sadly I emptied the contents of the overnight bags onto the bed and pulled out only the essential. I was about to zip the backpack shut when the picture of myself and Sam at the carnival last year caught my eye. Hastily I shoved it in on top. I wasn’t leaving Sam behind.

I went back and check the window. It was still too light. Taking my time I began tidying up my room. I piled my school thins up on my desk neatly and put my clothes back into my wardrobe. I was just hanging up my favourite summer dress when there was a knock on my door. I dropped the dress in shock and automatically rushed into my bathroom to hide. I heard the door click as it opened.

“Flo it’s just me,” I heard my dad say.

Sighing with relief I made myself visible. I saw him shut the door behind him.

“I’ve brought you some food to take with you.” He said holding out a few sandwiches in zip-lock bags.

I had a pang of guilt flutter through me. He must have put a lot of work into those. He knows I’m probably not coming back. I felt worse than before. All I was thinking about was how this was going to affect me. First my mother, now me. He was losing everyone that he cared truly for. I remembered a line of a poem that my mother used to sing to me at that moment.

The fairies can’t stay long,

They must always return to Avalon.

I was going home.

 I took the food from him with a quiet “thanks,” and he just nodded. I turned away to see if I was going to be able to add the food to by school bag. I heard him turn the door handle, before it could click shut he said, “You step mum called me. They won’t be coming home until very late. Your step mum is taking them out shopping and for dinner. You won’t have to worry about sneaking out past them.”

 Time dragged by so slowly that it felt like night would never come. When it did however, I was shocked, where had it all gone? My last hours in the mortal world were coming to a close. The old grandfather clock in the living room downstairs chimed loudly signalling 10 o’clock. I peeked out of my blinds for what felt like the thousandth time.

 Finally was time to leave. I picked up my bag and tried to swing it on my back before I remembered that wings would make that impossible. Instead I shouldered the bag and made my way out of the house.

 Dodging the street lamps was no easy task. It made the five minute stroll to the park take at least fifteen minutes. My dad didn’t want to come with me so he had stayed at home, leaving me to walk alone, which only added to the bubbling pit of anxiety in my stomach. I had to duck under trees and run through bushes. I winced every time my wings got stuck on branches. Once a thought I heard them rip, but I kept going. I couldn’t risk being seen.

 When I reached the park it was empty as suspected. I moved under the cover of the trees to avoid the streetlamps and any people who may be driving around.

 I waited, knowing that Ridel would seek me out. When something tapped me on the shoulder gently I spun around to find Ridel standing right there. He had a finger to his lips and I was surprised to see that he was wearing normal, human clothes, rather than his faery armour.

“You made it,” I said in a whisper.

He didn’t answer my question, instead he said, “Follow me.”

 He didn’t even wait for my reply before he sped off towards the end of the park which was more densely packed with trees. We walked for quite some time and I had the feeling that we had left the park a long time ago, due to my surroundings which were growing wilder with every step.

 Ridel didn’t speak, he just kept his eyes on the ground, looking up occasionally to check his bearings.

I knew for some strange reason, that we were going to stop before we actually did. There was a tingle in the air which warmed the tips of my fingers and made my wings twitch.

 It was so dark that I almost missed the portal, due to the fact that it was a large black circle of swirling cloud. Next I noticed that there was a boy, I mean faery, standing there beside the portal. He looked no older than twelve years old. The way he stared at me, and then at my wings, gave me shivers down my spine.

  Ridel nodded at the boy and then gestured for me to follow him as he walked towards the portal. I stepped through and saw colours and objects fly around me. The portal cracked like electricity loudly in my ears. Feeling dizzy I instinctively reached out for the only solid thing which was there. I took Ridel’s arm and closed my eyes.

 When the sickening motion stopped my eyes flew open and a new landscape was in front of me. It looked very much like an ancient roman city out of my school text books. Buildings were made of marble and elegant columns were everywhere.

 Ridel took a step forward and then I realised that I was still holding his arm. Our eyes met briefly for a moment before I hastily let go.

 “It is safe to talk now,” he said moving away from the portal.

I took one glance over my shoulder to see the black clouds contained within an ancient marble arch.

“I should warn you that Avalon isn’t normal right now,” he said, not looking at me.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

He frowned, “People have been disappearing, more trolls have been sighted, and Dragons are becoming less numerous, as are the elves.”

“Did you say dragons? ... And Elves?” I was confused.

“Faery’s only make up a portion of the Faye. Elves, dragons dwarfs, trolls are also considered Faye.” He said matter-of-factly.

“Oh,” was I could say in response.

Trying to avoid any further silence I asked, “Where are you taking me?”

I looked at all of the buildings around me; I had no idea where we were.

“To your mother, she’ll look after you until further arrangements can be made,” he said, catching my eye momentarily.

“Will I see you again?” I asked without thinking. A blush rose up in my cheeks and he gave me a thoughtful stare.

“I’ve been assigned to show you around for a week, and then I must return to my duties.”

 My mother’s house looked like all of the other buildings I had already passed. The white marble shone in the moonlight. At the top of the stairs, as perfect and the same as I remembered her, was my mother.