Chapter 21

However I managed to get all the way back to the forest was anyone’s guess.

I had stumbled all of the way back to the portal and just about fell through it, ending up on my hands and knees on the other side. Tears stung my eyes and the palms of my hands were grazed. I wiped the dirt onto my pants and hoped that they would be okay.

Back in Avalon I was going to face the same problem as I had by wearing my faery clothes into the mortal world. Trying not to look conspicuous I found the nearest exit out of the city and made a run for it.

The next part was rather tricky considering that I wasn’t entirely sure which way Ridel had taken me the morning before. However I followed my gut instinct, it was as though I could just sense which direction Ridel was in.

From there I was able to just follow the path until I found myself entering the cool shade of the forest and the smell of pine needles wafted through the air. The leaves felt soft under my feet and I stared at the little flowers which were pushing up valiantly through the tree roots in the patches were slivers of sunlight managed to hit the forest floor.

I followed the forest trail until I found the bench where Ridel and I had been sitting before we had been both knocked out. Just staring at the bench with the vines creeping up the legs made the memory feel a million years ago. It hardly felt like only a day had passed.

I felt very conflicted staring at the bench. It had both a sense of warmth and extreme cold. I shivered and spun around on the spot.

 Had no idea what to or where to go next. I had been unconscious when they had dragged us away to the campsite in the middle of the forest and now I was going to try and have to figure it out on my own.

I gazed between the mossy trunks, almost asking the trees to help guide me to my destination. The longer I stood there the more I felt my time to get back ticking away with each beat of my heart. I bit my lip.

It was with a stroke of inspiration and shock that I noticed some drag marks and footprints leading away from the little clearing. I squatted down and examined them feeling rather stupid. I was by no means an expert in footprints and for all knew they could be tracks made by some animal.

I bit the inside of my lip and considered it. I really didn’t have much other choice, it was either follow a set of tracks through the forest or wander around aimlessly until I found them again. The latter scared  me so I chose option one.

Getting back to my feet I gave the bench one last glance and then marched off. There was no turning back now.

The stone remained cool against my skin unlike the chain which had quickly warmed to match my temperature. It was a constant reminder of the task that I had to do and the people I had to save. I didn’t know what I would do if anything happened to Ridel, but I knew that he had made my new life here so much my enjoyable. If I lost him I might as well just return back to the mortal world.

I walked for quite a long time and very quickly I began to notice my hunger and thirst. I had not had anything to eat since yesterday breakfast and in my solitude only then did I notice. All of the walking and running around had also made me thirster than usual, normal I didn’t drink much during the day.

The first little stream I found I got to my knees and using my hands as a cup I gulped down some of the cool clear water. Before I put my lips to the water I thought about whether or not is was safe to drink but considering that the faery’s did little to hurt their environment I figured it should be safe. And besides, when you are really thirsty it is almost unbearable to ignore a stream.

Unfortunately food did not flow in streams and hunger gnawed at my insides in a feverish manner. It was such an alien experience for me to be truly hungry. This is how those children in Africa must feel, I thought. One or two times I had to stop and lean against a tree as black dots tried to claim my vision.

Despite all of this I kept going. I knew that I was holding a great weight in the balance and if I failed everything would topple down. I had my father to look out for as well, I was not going to let the faye ruin his life any more than it already had.

After what must have been a few hours I just about collapsed from exhaustion. I wanted to cry my eyes out. I had been walking for ages and I was no nearer to finding the camp again. I racked my tired brain for answers. Was I supposed to remember something? I rubbed my temple with a finger and sighed.

I probably would have given in at that point had I not heard a loud roar ring through the trees. A group of birds took into the air above the canopy making a great deal of noise. Blood pounded through my veins.

Under any normal situation I would have turned and run in the opposite direction but I distinctly remembered that Verrann had two trolls guarding for him. I instead ran towards the source of the noise. I slowed down as I saw the white canvas of the tents from between the trunks.  

As I entered the camp I was very aware that every eye was on me. I watched as Verrann emerged from his tent, the fabric flapping behind him. I was sure he had a smile on his face beneath the mask.

No one said anything and I refused to meet their gazes. My eyes were roving the camp for any sign of Ridel with little success.

I stopped in front of the fire pit in the middle of the camp. Verrann came and faced me.

“You have returned at last,” he said.

“I have what you wanted me to bring,” I said trying to sound confident, “Where is Ridel?”

I frowned at him, very aware of the stone against my chest. I would hand it over as soon as I knew that Ridel was safe and well and that they would give him back to me.

“Of course. Had you not brought the stone to consequences would have been … Dire,” He put his hands together, “Eterali bring the boy.”

The female elf bowed to him and left the circle. I watched her out of the corner of my eye, still watching what Verrann was doing. She disappeared behind some trees for a fraction of a second and then returned, dragging Ridel in turn. I was somewhat relieved by the fact that he didn’t look any worse than when I had left him.

He had his hands bound behind his back and the elf, Eterali, pushed him into the circle next to me. I helped him to stand and gave him a brief hug before turning back to Verrann.

“See, he is perfectly fine,” Verrann raised a hand in gesture, “Now hand the stone over.”

Without taking my eyes off of him I pulled the chain over my head slowly and then the stone out from under my clothes. I could almost hear the excitement of the rogues and it chilled me. Maybe handing over this stone was a mistake?

I clenched it in my fist before staring at it for a few seconds. Whatever this stone was it was going to buy Ridel and I our freedom. Surely our lives were worth more than this little rock.

I made my resolve and stepped forward, ready to hand it over.

Ridel suddenly jumped between me and Verrann, pushing me backwards.

“Florence it is a trap,” He said, glaring at me, “Don’t give it to him.”

I was shocked. What was he doing?

I began to pull my hand away.

“Don’t listen to him,” Verrann almost snarled.

I stopped in my tracks. I had made my up mind and Ridel wasn’t going to stop me. I had no idea what he was thinking.

“Forget about me Florence, just run for it now,” I had the feeling he was trying to communicate something to me but I couldn’t quite pick it up.

It made me feel sad that perhaps we weren’t as close as I had thought. I felt even a bit angry that I was going to kiss him!

“I’m sorry Ridel,” I said and I stepped forward and deposited the stone in Verrann’s hand.

He seemed to cringe slightly when the chain hit his skin and he whipped the stone off the chain and threw it back at me. I caught it and slipped into my hoodie pocket. Some part of me wanted to hang onto it.

Verrann caressed the stone with a long pale finger, “Very good. You have succeeded to bring the stone.”

“We’ll just be going now,” I turned to Ridel but his face was set in worry.

“I don’t think so,” Verrann tilted his head and fear flooded through my body.