Chapter 3

• Dedicated to Holly Black

I dedicate this to Holly Black, author of Ironside, Tithe and Valiant, some of my favourite stories. I have taken inspiration from some of her stories to write mine.

In this chapter you are going to hear a bit more about Florence's world. I hope you enjoy it.

Today I sat down and practically planned the rest of this story so I have more of an idea about which direction it is going in.

 I don't know how fast the rest of this story is going to come out 'cause school starts in three days *groan*.

The only good thing really this year is that we all get laptops this year, so I might be able to type up some stuff during school.

_____________________________________________________

Chapter 3

As soon as Sam was gone, my step mum wandered off and came back with a towel so that I would not coat the couch in blood. I was already missing Sam's company.

Then Susan disappeared into the kitchen to begin preparing dinner, leaving me with some space.

Not long after she left Millie came trudging into the house. Not even looking at me she stalked up the stairs into her bedroom flicking her hair in an agitated way. I swear I saw blood underneath her delicately filed and extremely sharp, fingernails.

When the sounds of pots reached my ears I eagerly opened the letter Sam gave me, hoping for an invite of some sort.

'The trolls are after you. Seek shelter with the dragons and elves."

I was slightly disappointed at what it said; I guess I was expecting something else. This was not called for or wanted.

After rereading the letter I came to the conclusion that Sam did not write it. She could not have known about the trolls, 'if she had she would have just told me' I thought.

There was definitely something strange going on, and I needed to know what.

I decided that calling Sam was the first step to solving this mystery, as she could tell me who gave her the letter.

Fishing my phone out of my pocket, I dialled Sam's number and waited for her to pick up.

"Hello this is Samantha." she said in very sing-song, automatic tones.

"Hey Sam."

"Oh it's you Flo. Are you alright? I sorry I left but I was meant to be home hours ago and my mum is really angry. Your Step mum was creeping me out too." Sam was speaking in strained tones and when she mentioned my step mother she gave a little shudder.

"She does that." I replied, and we both laughed.

"I guess you're wondering about that letter?" She asked; somehow know what my next query was going to be.

"Yes I am. Who gave it to you?" I had to use a lot of will power to stop myself hammering her with questions.

"Some funny old man down the street. Hey Flo I've got to go, my mum is calling me for dinner. See you at school."

Just before she hung up I could hear yelling on the other end.

'Some funny old man' I thought, 'I wonder who, I mean it is not like everyone knows about the trolls.'

I was in the process of putting my phone away when my dad walked in the front door. His eyes bulged slightly when he saw me lying on the couch which a blood stained towel.

He quickly questioned me about how I came to be bleeding and he was about to check my cut when my step mum called for dinner.

After dinner, (Which was brought to me on the couch.) my dad took me to the laundry to inspect my wound.

He gently washed all the caked blood out of my hair and dried it with a fresh towel.

Then not so gently he poked it, and when it drew no more blood he declared it a scratch. Insisting that I get some rest, and that I had lost quite a lot of blood, my dad lead me back through the living area towards the stairs.

The last I saw of my step mother and Millie before I was pushed up to bed, they were both frowning with an identical expression. I couldn’t help but smirk.

Once in my room I shut the door and changed. I lied in bed for a while thinking before I picked up my book.  I could only read one sentence before a wave of fatigue hit me and I had to put it down.

The events of the last few hours clouded my perplexed mind. I wanted to know what it means. I knew the answer but, it was lost inside me somewhere. The feeling that it was just out of reach greatly annoyed me.

I remembered how Derick stepped in to help me, but why? How did that man know Sam was my friend? And Why are the trolls after me?

These questions I badly wanted answers to. I knew that for the answers, I would just have to wait. Too bad I was not a patient person. I rolled over and turned my lamp on again. 

For what felt like hours, I just stared at the ceiling and thought.

Before I drifted off into a fitful sleep I reread the letter Sam gave me and placed it on my bedside table on top of my book.

And for the first time in ten years, I wish my mother was here with me.

__________________________________________

There you go, a mysterious man, dragons, trolls and elves! What do you think? I hope it is not too cliché'.  

Please don't forget to comment and vote!

Enjoy the rest of the holidays!

Pranxtor

P.S What do you think needs to be added to this? I really need some feed back!

P.P.S What should the fathers name be?