Chapter 24

I woke with a silent scream on my lips. I sat bolt upright in bed and couldn't help but drag the covers towards me. My heart was pounding as adrenaline raced through my veins. I breathed heavily, trying to calm myself down.

I had had the most vivid and terrifying nightmare that I could ever recall ever having in my life.

I had been running through the forest again when Verrann had appeared in front of me. He had gone to remove his mask and whatever was behind it had frightened me to death. I couldn't remember anything but the fear that I felt and my scream.

Then I realised what had woken me up, it was almost dawn and the loud palace bells where ringing once again.

I felt panic seep into me, what if Ridel had escaped from the dungeons? Surely they weren't going to kill him?

I jumped to my feet and rushed to my wardrobe, ditching my hoodie and swapping it for a clean white tunic and I placed a belt around my hips over both the shirt and my jeans. It was an odd mix but it felt right. The chain from the necklace tumbled from the hoodie's pocket and I slipped it into the back pocket of my jeans without hesitation. It felt as though it was now a good luck charm.

Without even being asked to do anything I fled from the room, making my way down to the throne room, my nightmare forgotten. I skidded across the perfectly polished tiles and almost tripped on the many rugs that scattered the halls.

I burst into the throne room through a side chamber just as the main doors swung open and to my absolute shock, in came marching, the two elf henchmen by his side.

I hovered in the shadows, not sure if I was meant to be here or not.

My grandfather stood and said with his absolute authority, "What is the meaning of this?"

My grandmother was pale-face and taut lipped.

The trio stopped on a few metres from the dais. Verrann moved forward and spoke with his chilling voice.

"I believe in a fair fight," he said, his hand curling around the hilt of a sword by his side, "So I challenge you," he threw a gauntlet at the king's feet, "for the kingdom, winner takes all."

"Why should I fight you? Guards!" he yelled in fury.

A dozen or so soldiers marched in, pikes raised towards the elves. I had to side-step to avoid getting caught in the tide.

Verrann snigged in a childish way. He flicked both his hands outwards at the oncoming guards and they all flew through the air, crashing against the hard stone walls and crumpling in a heap on the ground.

The Kings lip twitched and his temple throbbed. The queen was gripping the armrest of her chair so ferociously in her fear.

"I want to settle this between us," Verrann took another step forward until he was in arms reach of my grandfather.

I bit my lip and watched nervously. He couldn't, and wouldn't, dare back down from this challenge now. Too much was at stake.

"Very well," he caved in, "We follow the knights code. No magic."

"As you wish your majesty," he said the words with such mockery in his voice that even made me angry.

The colour was starting to drain from my grandfather's face. He didn't look that old but I knew in Avalon you could never trust your eyes.

Verrann bowed and waved his companions aside. They retreated to the back of the room, looking on edge and twitching their fingers over their weapons. I could tell that there was no way the King could win. Any sign that Verrann was losing they would jump in and protect their leader.