Chapter 11

Sam’s P.O.V.

I was standing outside mine – and Florence’s- homeroom class, on Monday morning at school. I kept glancing down at my watch, checking the time. It wasn’t like Flo to be this late. I tried to hear if she was perhaps calling out to me, but it would have been impossible over the buzz of chatter that came from the students which surrounded me.

With a sigh a leant back against the chewing-gum covered wall, my backpack keeping me off the gooey mess. It felt so strange without out Flo. She was my other half, the sister I never knew I had.

Normally she would be here by now.

I took another glance at my watch. There was a least ten minutes until homeroom started. I moved away from the wall and stood up on my toes, attempting to see over the heads of all the students. I couldn’t see her anywhere, but, I did see a streak of blonde which could only be Millie.

Without trying to think to hard about what I was doing I walked over to her. I was desperate to find out what was going on. As they say, ‘Desperate times call for desperate measures’. Florence always told me that I was full of old sayings. I guess she was right.

“Hey Millie!” I called out to her above the din.

I saw her head turn and a grimace pass across her face before she stalked off. I shook my head- why the hell was I bothering with this?

I ran to her, pushing through the crowds of people, and getting plenty of glares. It wasn’t my fault that the school corridors were so narrow.

“Millie!” I yelled.

This time she turned around and gave me a glare that would have made me stop in my tracks if I was not so set about what I had to do.

“What do you want loser?” she said through her pursed lips, the lip gloss reflecting the dull sunlight.

I had to hold in my anger, “Where is Flo?”

I clenched my fists behind my back. Why did Millie have to be such a horrible person?

“Why do you care brat?” she snarled at me.

I was about to retort – and rather rudely mind you – when Millie’s two friends pushed either side of me and went to stand next to her. They both had their school skirts up as high as they could go and their tops had a many buttons undone as possible.

“Is this little girl annoying you?” said one of the vultures, as Flo called them.

“We’ll be glad to rid you of this nuisance,” said the other friend, flicking her black hair high in the air.

I felt like I could have punched them both in the mouths at that very moment but I held back. I needed to find out where Florence was.

“I want to know where Florence is!” I tried to sound demanding but I sounded quite feeble in my ears.

“Why should I tell you?” Millie looked like she was enjoying herself far too much.

I could have groaned with annoyance.

“I want to know,” I said, attempting to look straight into the girls contact coloured eyes.

Millie smiled devilishly, “If you really want to know she left on Sunday night. She is moving in with her mum. Good riddance I say. I was getting sick of leaving in the same house as her.”

Before I could clarify what I was hearing was the truth instead of some freaky concoction of Millie’s mind, she had spun on the spot gracefully and waved her and her friends away.