Chapter 7

Chapter 7 

2 Months Later: 

Two months after the troll incident I still hadn't even been able to convince myself that it was a dream. Ridel's number remained at the bottom of my drawer and that is where I wished for it to stay. Reminders of the night's happenings were everywhere. 

Where I cut my hand on the tree, there was a thin scar. At home, the TV and coffee table managed to somehow repair themselves, but the stairs remained broken. When my family woke the following morning completely confused to why the stairs where falling apart and why there was blood everywhere. 

What really would assure me that it was all real was the body of the troll. Soon enough the authorities discovered it and it was all over the news for months. There were inquires, special reports, and interviews with some clueless local residents. It was general knowledge about the Faye, but trolls where still mostly the stuff of stories. 

When I awoke in two months later I was certain that it was all over. The news reports on it had stopped a few days ago to make way for garbage, for instance massive squirrels and the winner of the Best Kept Lawn Award. 

I had finally had a good night's sleep, not worrying about a troll coming in the middle of the night to eat me, or worse. I stretched, stood up, and made my way over to my bathroom. It was a Saturday, so I didn't have to go to school. As I walked across the floorboards of my room and raised my arms above my head, stretching my sore muscles, I felt a sharp pain in my back. 

Ignoring it, thinking it was probably from doing to many cartwheels or something, I looked at myself in the mirror. 

The person I was looking at had the same brown-blond hair and green eyes as me. She was wearing the same green boxer shorts and blue singlet top with sheep on it. Everything was almost perfect, except that there was something different, something horribly wrong.  

The girl staring back at me had wings.  

I almost screamed with horror. No!!!This can't be happening!!! I thought. This was my life ruined. I couldn't go anywhere because of my wings, and I'd probably be dragged off to Avalon.  

Keeping secret the fact that I was a Half-Faye was hard enough without wings. Now it would be impossible. 

I crouched down on the cold tiles of the bathroom and put my head on my arms. I badly wanted to cry, but the tears wouldn't come. I don't know how long I sat there sobbing, but I do know that I was brought to my senses by hunger. 

I stood up and examined myself more closely. My eyes were red and my hair a tangled mess. My wings were like those of a dragonfly, the membrane matching the colour of my eyes. The delicate pattern work stunned me for a moment and I bit my lip. 

I wondered if I would actually be able to fly on my wings, and that moment I directed my thoughts on it, they gave a nervous twitch. I had always wanted to fly, what person doesn't? But who wants to be shunned from society for it? I certainly didn't.

Suddenly deciding that it would do no good to continue to lay on the cold bathroom tiles and mope, I picked myself up and unlocked the bathroom door. Moving back into my blue walled room, I opened my wardrobe doors and pulled out my low backed summer dress. I slipped the dress over my head, wincing as it crushed my wings.  

Unsure of what to do next, I moved to the sink and washed the tear stains from my face. I combed my hair back into a ponytail. I brushed my teeth before checking my reflection. I looked perfectly normal, except for the wings protruding from my shoulder blades.

I was getting very hungry by this point. Cautiously I made my way over to the door and pushed it open. For a minute or so I just stood there, calling out. When no one came and I was certain that I was alone, I raced down the stairs into the kitchen. I was glad that I was alone because even I disgusted myself as I shoveled down food. 

Suddenly the front door flung open as my father walked in. He was looking over his shoulder and hung up his phone. I froze.  

Then he looked straight at me.

"What the-" he cursed, staring at me in disbelief.  

"Dad-" I began, but he cut me off. 

"You-you-You've got wings-" he stuttered, still wide eyed.

He was still standing right by the door, but his phone was on the floor and his bag contents were strewn all over the carpet.

"You are not safe here. Go back to your room." he said, starting to regain his senses.  

"Dad-" I started again. 

"GO!" he yelled.

I scurried back up the stairs and out of sight. I dived under my bed covers and pulled them tight around me. I remained there for what felt like hours in the darkness, but was probably only minutes. I sat up when I heard my fathers voice.

Maybe I was going to be seeing my mother sooner than anyone had expected.