Chapter 12

Mothers P.O.V

I was sitting at the coffee table in my room when the message arrived.  My tea was growing cold in my hands and I was staring out of the window. I saw the messenger arrive but didn’t think twice about it, I was not one to receive messages.

In the royal palace was where I lived. I was kept away from the commoners and most of all, the portals.

I had been young and foolish when I had first gone through. I was innocent and fell in love with a human. I didn’t care though. I was running away from a life that seemed all too much for me. I hated being a princess.

I was the youngest child in my family, a princess with no power, only maids and frocks and a comfortable place to stay. Even with all the luxuries that anyone could want I preferred the human world. I had a love. I had a daughter.

Yet she was the reason I was locked inside the palace and its grounds. I had gotten pregnant before my guards found me. My punishment was to have to live in the human world for five years and then I was to return and resume my duties as princess.

I wanted to stay with my husband and child when the five years were up. If the guards hadn’t have come to collect me I would have stayed without second thought.

I set my mug down on the table and pulled out the picture of my baby girl and me. The guards had confiscated everything else from me and removed the enchantment that I had placed on myself to remove my wings. It had taken all of my power to be allowed to keep this small piece of yellowing paper.

As the palace gongs struck ten o’clock there was a soft knock on my door. I stood up; the voluminous skirts of my dress made me a little unbalanced. Then I quickly brushed off any bisect crumbs, sat back down and made self look attentive and full of authority.

“Enter,” I said in my commanding voice.

The doors were opened by two guards and a page boy entered. He had a golden tray in his hands with a neatly folded piece of parchment upon it.

“Your Majesty,” the boy said, bowing before me.

I took the note, hoping that my fingers didn’t look like they were trembling. With one finger I unfolded the parchment.

To Her Royal Highness, Duchess Ria of The 1st City

I looked at the title meekly. Why did it have to be so long? I would have just gone by “Ria” but customs were the heart of faery life.

We have received information that your daughter, Florence, has for whatever reason that was not specified, required a sentry to escort her into Avalon and the 1st City. She will be placed under your care until further notice. We do not know when she will arrive.

The 1st City Sentry Office

I held onto the paper tightly.

“You may leave,” I said to the boy who looked relieved to not have to stand there any longer.

He bowed and left the room. With him gone I could have space to myself to think.

At first I was stuck motionless as my brain whirred through the details. My daughter was coming back home. But it was not her home. Why would she need to come to Avalon, she was more human than anything else.

It didn’t make sense.

I picked up the photo which I had left on the table and stoked the smooth surface with a finger. As glad as I was to see her, I was worried too. What if she was in some kind of danger?

I knew that some of the faye in the lower end of the 1st city had gone missing. I could feel in my bones that Avalon was not going to be a safe place for much longer.

I stood and walked across my expansive room to the window and looked down at the marble cobble.

The palace was by no means the largest building in the city as it had grown up around it. I remember that I used to walk those streets as a child. But no more, my little trip into the human world did far more damage than good.

I guess the only good things that happened were meeting him and my daughter. Sadly good things can never last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Sorry that this was such a short chapter but there wasn't too much to write about. don't worry though 'cause the next one is going to be long! :D (and back in Flo's P.O.V) Well hope you liked this, off to watch Doctor Who :D