Chapter 30

Just as we finished dinner, people were beginning to leave. They needed to get the good night's sleep because of the big day that was coming.

"See you guys tomorrow," Nathan said smiling meekly. I had not heard if he and Thea had the big talk yet but made a mental note to ask him later. Besides, all of us were excited for the day that was to come even if there were certain distresses in life at the present.

I had the keys to Jason's Mustang the whole time while we were there. As we were about to leave Jason was the one who called me and decided to drive home. Thankfully, Avery was not there on the return journey.

I changed out of my clothes and went to bed as soon as possible. It was a restless night with me tossing from one side to another. I had too much adrenaline in my blood to have a peaceful sleep.

In the morning of Monday, I woke up before the alarm rang and headed off to get ready for the day.

I freshened up and changed into my school's jersey and shorts with agility. I tied my hair into two french braids to hold them tightly in fixed positions for the whole day. As I came out of the washroom my phone rang. The caller id said that it was Thea.
"Just making sure you are up," she said. 

"Oh yes I'm up. Couldn't sleep properly either way," I laughed.
"Same," she said with a newly formed vigour.

I was having my breakfast when Jason came downstairs fully prepared. His backpack slung from his right shoulder and he held his pair of shoes in his hands.

"You ready to get your ass kicked in the game?" Jason asked me.
"You wish!" I exclaimed while glaring at him.

After half an hour it was time for us to head towards school. Jason suggested that we drive there together as it would save the fuel for one of the cars.
"Look at you being all concerned about saving," I teased him. Nevertheless, he did not give any heed to it and left the area ignoring what I had said.

The ride to the school was a silent one. It was probably because both of us were consumed by our own thoughts.

As I reached school, I was at first all perplexed by the sight I had to behold.

Scattered posters and charts were hung around the whole area. Flags of the different schools were hung in one corner. The players' names of each school was written together on different posters and kept in another corner. The feeling of euphoria by just seeing our names written there could not be explained. There was a festive mood amongst everyone present there.

I got inside the compound, alone, while Jason went to join his team on the other side. Within a few minutes all of the people had come. Our team surrounded Mr. Cruz while he was filling us with the strategies for the hundredth time.

Even though the first match of the day was between other schools, Mr. Cruz said that we watched with eagle eyes to notice all their playing patterns. And that was what we did. All of us players were watching them play with great intensity, trying to memorise each and every move and countermove of both the teams.

The first match was a good one. Both the teams were confident enough but in the end only one won.

"Girls, we are next," Mr. Cruz stated catching all of our attention. All the players of both the boys and girls team of our school went inside the changing room for the last talk before the match. The other team was also there whispering between themselves.

"Don't be afraid to show your skills. We practised a lot more than the rest of the teams and I know that you all will be good in court," Mr. Cruz said that as an incentive.

"The trophy will be ours," Eva, one of our forwards, said out loud.
"That's the spirit," our coach stated with vitality.

"However winning is not the only thing right?" he asked.
"Yes coach we know," Thea said.
"Play wisely and well," I stated the motto that Mr. Cruz taught us over the years.
"Exactly," Mr. Cruz added.

"Now let's go and make them realise who they are playing against," Eva said loudly. All of the players cheered at once.

All of the players of the boys team wished us luck. As we went out of the changing room and into the court, cheers began to erupt from the arena. Seated in the rows, I saw both Addison and Finn, who upon seeing us gave us a thumbs up. The boys team stood there in the corner the whole time.

The match began. Initially, our opponent was in a better position. Within ten minutes they managed to score many points while our team did not score any. The worried look on the faces of our supported became evident. Mr. Cruz, on the other side, was however still scrutinizing the whole match with a bland expression.

As half time approached, we were still left behind by a considerable number of points.

"You can manage to pull it of," Mr. Cruz encouraged us as we gathered round for a group conversation.
"Whatever happens you can't get deterred by your aim, which is to win,"  he added.

The referee blew the whistle which initiated the match again. A fierce but confident countenance became prominent on all of the players from our team.

All of a sudden, the energy shifted from our opposing team to ours. Alongside reasonable defending, we succeeded in throwing the ball inside the basket a couple of times which increased our points by many.

Our team work paid off and as I threw the last basket before the ending time the whole area began to cheer.

The whistle blew again which marked the end of the game. Applause, whistles and shouts began promptly.

The first game was a success for our school and we were elated at that time.

The next match was however a tense one. Kinsley's boys against the Ford's.
"Just pray that we win this match too," Nathan said as soon as we encountered.

"Don't worry. It will be fine," Thea stated. Nathan looked at her thoughtfully.
"Now go and show what you are capable of," she added while she shook Nathan from his trance of thoughts. Nathan was instantly hyped up and he went to join the rest of the boys.

Thea and I moved through the crowd and went where Addison and Finn were sitting.
"Both of you played real good," Finn said beaming at us.
"Let's hope that the boys can get victory too," Addison said, scooting over to make space for us to sit.

Thea and I sat there just as the players went to gather in the basketball court.

I looked over to see Jason all confident. He and his team were already in their positions, ready to pounce. In front of them our boys seemed feeble but I knew that they were great players.

The tension within us was making me nauseous. None of the teams were not letting the other to score. As time went, the points increased surely but the thing that was surprising was that the points were almost same throughout.

By the end of the match, our boys only missed the victory because of the last basket that one of the boys from Fords gave.

"Never mind. They have other matches to play," Thea said as the match ended. The boys from Fords began to revel while all of ours had a constant frown.

I kept looking at them merrymaking by the fringe of the court. Surely enough I did not miss the bold smirk Jason gave me from the distance, which vividly said that he wanted me to know he had won.

On Tuesday, our school's girls did not have any matches to play. The boys had two which they had won. By the end of the day the odds were in our favour and all of us returned home with exhausted but smiling faces.

______________________
Hey all. Hope you are having an amazing day/night. Do vote, comment and let me know your opinions so far.

I was also thinking about doing a character's reveal altogether to show how I picture the characters. What dp you think about that?