Chapter Thirty-One - Unsettling Encounters

“I just don’t understand,” I told Kendra as we feasted on pop corn in my apartment.

“You did the right thing,” she assured me. “I mean, that’s a tough situation.”

“Yeah. But, that look on his face makes me feel awful. He didn’t deserve that. Especially not from me.”

“Rachel, you can’t force yourself to like him,” she reminded me. “And now that you know Taylor loves you, I couldn’t imagine you moving on to anybody else.”

“But the thing is, his dad may never let him see me again,” I said. I sounded sad, even to my own ears. Countless times have I imagined us getting back together, but every time I thought about that, my dream was crushed by the actions of his father.

“Never say never,” Kendra said, giving me a knowing look.

“Okay,” I said, popping another piece of popcorn in my mouth. “Kendra, you always seem to have all the answers,” I said, hugging her tightly.

“Yeah? I think it’s the whole pregnancy thing,” she said, rubbing round circles on her belly. We both burst out laughing and turned back to the television.

About an hour later, I dropped Kendra back home then left to meet Derek and dad at a bowling alley. Not the one I work at…that would be awful. This one was about seven miles away, and much grandeur than the one I’m forced to look at everyday.

“Are you guys ready to get whooped?!” I asked the both of them. They both smiled and waved my comment off.

“Yeah right,” Derek said. 

My father bought us a lane for two games and bowling shoes. It felt just like old times, the three of us having fun and enjoying each other. 

Dad was up first, hitting six pins total. I scoffed a little loudly.

Then it was Derek’s turn. He hit eight pins.

Better than dad, but certainly not better than me.

I know it was cocky of me to think that way, but I couldn’t help it. When it was my turn, I wasn’t even fully focused and I still bowled a perfect strike.

“Just like old times,” I said smiling widely. I was always the best out of the three of us. I cracked up at how their reactions were always the same: annoyed and irritated.

“She’s only good because she works at a bowling alley,” Derek said after the first game was over.

“Yeah right! You think that’s all I do is practice all day?” I asked him incredulously.

“I’m a little rusty,” dad admitted.

“Me too!” Derek interjected.

“Sure. Excuses, excuses,” waving them off.

I actually did end up winning both games by several points.

“Guess you two have just lost your touch,” I teased. 

“That’s quite alright,” dad said, rubbing his shoulder as we walked out together. “We’ll be practicing a lot more from now on.”

I thrilled at the sound of that, at the promise of restoring our bowling tradition. Maybe in a few weeks, beating them won’t be like stealing candy from a baby.

***********************

The next day at my bowling alley was horrible. 

I literally stayed inside my office the entire day, only escaping to use the restroom once.