Chapter 43: Meet the Lautners

“T—Tonight?” I asked uncertainly. I blinked several times, as if doing so would somehow make everything clearer. “Are you sure?”

I was prepared to go on about all the reasons why we shouldn’t do this just yet. I mean, meeting the parents is an absolutely huge deal! No one’s ever brought me home to their parent’s before (that might be because no guy has ever seriously dated me before).

Taylor gently placed a finger on my lips, keeping me from spilling all my doubts about meeting his parents. The two people on this world who gave him life and raised him to be the fine gentlemen he is today. The thought of being in the same room as them baffled me.

His touch sent sparks flying, despite the hectic state my mind was in. My breath caught in my throat as he spoke to me with unmatched confidence. “I’ve never been surer about anything in my entire life, Rach.”

“But…” I mumbled against his finger which still was placed against my lips. I met his warm eyes which burned with intensity; I knew full well that he was telling the truth. However, that was the problem. This phenomenal relationship I have with him is too good to be true. I knew this from the start.

“But nothing,” he says with a smile. “I understand if you’re nervous about it, but honestly, you have nothing to be worried about.”

“But your Dad hates me,” I blurted out. I caught Taylor’s wary expression before I closed my eyes against the burning in my cheeks. Some of that earlier resentment returned in his face, and I hated the fact that I brought it up.

“Come here,” Taylor says, enveloping me in his warm embrace. I got lost in the way his arms effortlessly folded around me, sheltering me from the outside world. One arm was wrapped securely around my waist while his other hand stroked my hair. “He does not hate you; he could never hate you,” Taylor whispered to me, sounding like he was trying to convince both of us. It didn’t make sense, though. If his dad didn’t hate me, then why did he force Taylor to break up with me in the first place?

“I just don’t know what to think of this,” I told him honestly, burying my face in his chest, breathing him in. God, he smelled amazing. Amazing didn’t even begin to cover it.

He peeled back a little to look at my eyes, still holding me. “I know this can’t be easy for you, and I’m deeply sorry for that,” he kissed my forehead. “But my dad knows that he messed up. I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago. He wants to formally apologize to both of us, so he decided to have us over for dinner,” Taylor sighed slightly, resting his forehead against mine. I drew a shaky breath despite the fact that his hand ran soothingly up and down my back.  “I understand completely if you don’t want to do this today, or tomorrow, or ever. We can wait; I’ll wait till you’re absolutely ready.”

“No,” I said simply.

“No?”

“No,” I repeated. “I won’t wait because I’ve forgiven your father a long time ago, the moment I saw you in the hospital room when I first woke up. He didn’t want us together, but you came back to me anyway. Call it fate, or whatever, but we’re together now. What happened in the past doesn’t matter.”

“I love you so much,” Taylor breathed, leaning down to crush his lips against mine. I giggled slightly before picking up on his intensity, kissing him back with a matched force. A few seconds later his phone rang again, which made him groan in an adorable way. He kissed my cheek before running to get his phone, leaving me cold where his warm body was just moments ago.

While he was gone, I willed myself to believe in the words I just said so confidently. I walked around and stood in front of the large floor-to-ceiling window, staring down at the bustling city filled with movement. In the distance, if you looked far enough, you could see pieces of a nearby beach. I crossed my arms over my torso, exhaling slightly. I only wanted to be strong for Taylor; it was oddly much harder to be strong for myself.