Chapter Eight - Discouragement

“I should really get back,” I whispered, out of breath. There was complete darkness surrounding the car. I heard nothing but the faint rush of the waves on shore. And the crazy speed at which my heart was beating. The kiss was extremely short, but more urgent and powerful than the ones we shared on the boat.

“No you don’t,” he said in a whiny voice while moving his lips to the corner of my mouth. I smiled in spite of myself.

“Yes, I do. My parents are probably worried about me,” I said. Being rational isn’t very easy. Especially when you just finished making out with Taylor Lautner in his car. He groaned and leaned back over in his seat.

“You’re right.”

We were silent as he pulled on the dark road ahead of us. His fingers found mine once again as they intertwined together.

“I really had a great time tonight. No one’s ever done anything like that for me. Ever,” I said, looking straight ahead. The previous moments we shared were still replaying over and over in my head.

“Never?”

“Never.”

“That’s really a shame. You deserve to be surprised with something special everyday,” he said. His thumb moved in circles on the back of my hand. I looked down, blushing, and was surprised when he touched his hand to my face.

The rest of the ride was filled with a silence that said mutual things: we knew we had to part ways soon, but we didn’t want to. Our hands stayed together all the way to my house until he pulled up in the driveway. I assumed my parents were asleep since all the lights were out. He walked me to the door again, like the ideal gentlemen he was.

“Taylor, tonight was really great. I had a wonderful time. Thank you,” I said quietly, my voice full of sadness despite all the great things I was feeling right now.

“You are very welcome,” he replied softly. His eyes reflected the sad tone in my voice. As if on cue, our arms reached around each other and we moved into a tight hug. We held each other for an immeasurable amount of time, just enjoying the feel of the other. “I want to do this again, soon.”

“Okay. Me, too.”

“Awesome,” he whispered into my ear before pulling slightly back to look in my eyes. His warm brown eyes shone bright with a glow that I hadn’t seen before. Before I knew it, my heart rate picked up as he ducked his head down, moving in for a kiss. 

It started out really sweet and gentle, leaving me breathless. All of my body tingled with an amazing feeling and a shiver traveled down my spine despite the warm temperature outside. I tried not to whimper when he pulled his mouth away, moving them to my ear.

“Are you cold?” he whispered. I shook my head slightly, but he left his lips at my ear. “I should go.”

“It’s getting pretty late,” I reluctantly agreed. He moved his head so his forehead was resting against mine, his hands on my waist lingered for a moment before he took one of my hands.

“I’ll see you soon,” he promised. I nodded with an exultant smile. When I was about to go inside, he grabbed both of my hands, pulling me close again. “Rachel, I want to make a little promise to you.”

I was completely caught off guard by this, I guess he could sense that from the look I gave him. One side of his mouth pulled up into a smile.

“What is it?”

“I. It’s just that I don’t want to mess things up with you.”

“Taylor.”

“No, just listen. I want you to be able to talk to me about stuff. So I promise to always be here for you.”