Chapter Two - Baby Mama Drama

“What about this one?” I asked Nicky.

“You mean this piece of shit on legs?” she asked, motioning to the sofa I pointed at. I laughed out loud. “It’s really not that bad, Rachel. You could do a lot with it,” she said, trying to patch it up. Oh, how I loved my best friend.

We’d been to four different furniture stores, and nothing seemed to speak to me yet. Hopefully I’d find some things in this store. I turned the corner and found this white sofa that really caught my eye. I mean, it would be hard to keep clean, but it looked too nice to pass up. “I like this one.”

“I like it too. You could buy some different colored pillows to dress it up,” Nicky said, touching the back of it. She sat down and said, “Sure is comfy.”

“Great, I think I’ll get some chairs or something to go with it.”

“Totally. I can’t wait to see what everything will look like when it comes together,” she squealed. I hugged her and smiled widely. 

“Me too,” I said. “Me too.”

**********

We left the store with the sofa, two pale blue chairs, a coffee table set, a colorful rug, a couple table lamps, and a fifty-two inch plasma screen. My parents insisted on paying for all my furniture, so I just charged it all to their card. 

Nicky used to be a model last year, but her parents made her quit because they feared she would become anorexic or bulimic. Nicky is a thin girl, but not scary thin. I personally never thought she would become that way, but I guess her parents had the ultimate authority. She planned on picking it back up once we started college. She was a beautiful girl. She had light brown hair with the bluest eyes I’d ever seen. They were like liquid sapphires in that pretty head of hers.

After all that, Nicky and I went to a sub shop for lunch. I paid for hers since she was such great company today.

“So you remember Kendra, the quiet girl who graduated with us?” I asked Nicky slowly. I hadn’t told anyone about this yet. I was the first person to ever know about it. 

“Yeah, she was in our English class, right?”

“Yeah, but she always kept to herself.”

“Right.” 

“Okay, I forgot all about this, but our moms apparently used to work together when we were younger. She and I got along, but we were never really the best of friends. We would go over each others houses sometimes. And Derek would always be around whenever I hung around with her. Turns out, she just moved around the corner from our house last month,” I said. Nicky’s eyes widened.

“Go on.”

“My parents threw a barbecue a couple months ago and they invited Kendra and her parents. There was alcohol at this party, and Derek was there. Keep in mind that this was the first time he’d seen Kendra since we were kids. Well they somehow navigated themselves into the house, and no one noticed their absence. Her dad asked me to go find her after a really long time. She was in the basement guest room with Derek with the door locked. I heard their voices.”

“No way,” Nicky gasped.

“Yes way. And get this, a couple weeks ago, when my parents were gone, Kendra came up to the house asking for Derek but he wasn’t home. I invited her inside anyway, then she said she had something important to tell me. Nicky, she’s pregnant with Derek’s baby,” I said. She choked on her tea.

“Are you serious?!” she yelled.

“Yes. Shh.”

“That’s crazy.”

“I know.”

“What is Derek gonna do?” 

“I hope he gets a job soon.”

“Has he told your parents? Has she told hers?”

“Nope. I think they should do it all at the same time. With all of them in the room.”

“Yeah, I guess that’d be easiest. Holy Shit.”

“I know, I know.”

“You’re going to be an aunt.”

“Yeah. I guess I am.”

“How’s Kendra taking this?”

“Well, she’s definitely keeping it for sure. She says she’s always wanted to be a mom. But just that she wished she’d waited a little while. She’s not like freaking out all over the place. I mean, this isn’t the greatest way to do it, but we have become closer. She talks to me a lot more now than she did at school.

“Wow.”

“I know. You can’t tell anybody.”

“Of course.”

“What do you think I should do?”

“I think you should support Derek in any way you can.”

“How?”

“Money,” she mumbled. I scoffed.

“I’m done giving him money. I gave him two hundred dollars last week and he went and bought two pairs of shoes. I thought he would buy diapers or something, you know?”

“Oh wow. Yeah, I know what you mean.”

“I think it would be best for Derek to just grow up. Face reality.”

“Exactly. Do you think he would marry her?”

“Imagining Derek being tied down is pretty impossible, Nicky. You know that. He’s a big man whore.”

“I know. But if he realized that it would be best for the baby, do you think he would eventually do it?”

“I honestly have no idea. Derek is pretty unpredictable, and that’s a question that only time can answer.”

She nodded, and we finished our food with light conversation about who hooked up with who at Laura’s party last night. That was a world that seemed so far away now. I nodded and commented when necessary, but my internal thoughts continued to travel down a more complicated path. What was I going to do about the baby? I knew it wasn’t my responsibility, but It feels like I’m responsible for Derek. Would his baby also be my responsibility?

~~~~~~~

Sorry it's so short! I tried not to make you wait so long! I promise the next one will be longer and uploaded sooner!! Tell me your thoughts!

vote/comment/like/etc :)