Chapter 35: The (New) Anniversary

Knowing the 15th was the Aiden's anniversary, I called up Jackie and Jeremy before going to bed and asked them to help me. I got up early and made a big breakfast with crepes, omelets, lots of fruits and berries and left it on the counter buffet style. I made sure I had a small bag packed for overnight. I also left a note on the counter saying: 

Happy Anniversary!
I'll be in school for most of the day, so take this certificate to Holly's Masseuse and Spa and just relax. After that, go to a nice restaurant, or go fishing or whatever your old asses do these days. ;P
Just make sure you aren't back before 6. 

I repeat: Don't come back before 6!

-Ethan
PS, if you had something planned; cancel.

Jackie picked me up, and we went to the store to pick up some things from the store. Then we headed to the school and made a plan. The day passed fairly fast and soon enough, Jackie and I were making our way back home. I made sure Denny and Kenny were really gone and we started setting up.

I washed the sheets, Jackie put up the streamers, banner, and the decorations while I made a dinner. I made a playlist and hooked up a speaker.

Jeremy came ten to 6 with the cake I'd asked for. We set up the table, the dinner, and I made the bed. At 6:10, they were still gone, so I shooed Jackie and Jeremy out and waited for the couple, making sure everything was perfect. I double checked the food, the streamers' tape, the speaker and the playlist.

Hopefully they liked everything.

I heard Kenny's truck pull up, and I did a quick sweep before meeting them at the door. They opened the door and took their shoes and jackets off.

"Happy anniversary!" I said, when they noticed me. They looked around in awe, then their eyes landed on me.

"Aw, Ethan, you did all this for us?" Denny asked, a hand over his mouth. I nodded.

"Jackie and Jeremy helped, too."

"You do have feelings." Kenny gasped dramatically, bringing me into a hug. I rolled my eyes.

"Ha, ha. Hilarious." I said sarcastically. "It's your first year of being married, and I wanted to do something."

"That's so thoughtful." Denny looked around again, teary-eyed. He added to the hug.

"I hope you know we had a reservation for a cruise." Kenny grumbled. Denny elbowed him. "I mean, thank you so much, Ethan! I can't believe you did all this after we told you we were going!" He feigned joy. I laughed.

"Oh, sorry." I said, not sorry at all. "I wanted to do something, and I knew you guys would enjoy something like this." Denny sniffed and hugged me tighter.

"I'm literally crying." He laughed, wiping his eyes. "Thank you so much." He squeezed me again.

"Well, dinner's on the table, there's a cake in the fridge, and I washed your sheets and freshened your room up." I told them, walking to the kitchen.

I swear, Denny's eyes couldn't have gotten any wetter.

"Oh my God, Ethan." He practically sobbed. Then, "Kenny, I want a divorce." He said.

Both eyes turned to him. "WHat?" Kenny and I scream.

He laughed. "I mean, I want a divorce so I can marry Ethan instead." Denny clarified. Relief flooded through Kenny's face and I laughed. "You didn't think I was serious, did you?" He asked his husband.