Chapter 15: The Change of Parties

Pic above is Kenny

Chapter 15: The Change of Parties

"Ethan!" I turned and found Jackie running down the hall waving something in her hand. I put my books in my locker and turned, making sure that my jacket hid my neck.

"What's up?" I asked, watching as she bent over and breathed.

"I—" pant, "I got an—" pant, pant, "I got an A!" She screamed. I smiled.

"As I knew you would." I hit her shoulder.

"I was seriously so worried. But now I have to go take another test, and I'm sure to fail this one."

"You'll be fine. Besides, at least it's not the end exams yet." I said, walking down the hall.

She groaned and leaned against me. "Don't remind me. I am so not ready for those."

"Jackie, I'm really glad you stayed back a year. Otherwise I'd be so lonely." I said. She laughed.

"It wasn't a choice!" She defended. "I just...I couldn't pay my bills that year because of the hospital, and I had to work extra shifts on everything. I missed at least 3 days a week that year, so I failed." She shrugged. "At least now my rich-ass aunt finally reached out and decided that maybe—just maybe—she should help her sister get better."

"I never liked Emily." I admitted. Whenever I met her, she always looked at me distastefully and scolded Jackie for staying with someone like me. Both of us tell her every time that we're not dating.

"Yeah. Me neither." She said. "She's always bragging about how much money she had since she married that whore. He's an asshole, and I'm pretty sure he's married to like 5 other women."

I snickered. "I would not be surprised if she was married to like five other women. And men." She laughed.

"We should not be talking about her like this. I do not want her to cut off her money. I can't pay it." She pursed her lips and frowned. "I really wish Mom would get better so Emily would just leave."

I nodded and wrapped my arm around her and laid my head on her shoulder. "I do too. You think your mom would have liked me?"

"Yes." She nodded. "I mean, besides that you're queer, she'd really like you."

I glanced at her surprised. "Really?"

"She's not homophobic, if that's what you're thinking." She corrected. "She doesn't believe that your sex preference matters to who you are as a person, but that doesn't mean she agrees with LGBT community."

I nodded approvingly. "I like her already. I know someone who's homophobic, so that point of view is a relief."

She patted my back. "Homophobic people have their beliefs, too. I don't agree with how they act on it, but I respect what they believe."

"That was beautiful." I wiped my fake tears and sniffed. She punched my shoulder.

"It's just how I was raised." She shrugged. I nodded. "I however, hate lesbians."

"Jackie!" I cried. She laughed.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding." She picked up a notice as we walked by the front desk. "I don't hate anyone unless they give me a reason to." She scanned the paper. "So, bye bitch." She glanced at me and smirked. I stared after her with my mouth hanging open.

"You're a horrible person!" I called after her, earning a few glances my way.

She turned around and walked backwards. "You know it!" I laughed and shook my head.