Chapter 24

The next month passes quietly. My stomach is getting bigger and bigger. I am now at the end of my seventh month of pregnancy. A few more weeks and I will stop working.

On Saturdays, while I'm in the emergency room, Maggie asks me "there are stretchers on the ambulance access, can you go and get them?". "No problem, I'll do this" I answer.

While I am doing it, a car is driving towards the emergency entrance and I have no time to move. A few seconds later, I find myself stuck under the car which fortunately does not press on my stomach but my leg hurts a lot.

I imagine that given the noise, everyone heard but I find myself panicked and shouting "help, help me, get me out of here, I'm stuck". It hurts me madly and I really hope that the baby is not going to have any aftereffects.

I hear lots of footsteps and Doctor Choi yells at me "above all don't move". It's not as if I had the possibility, I want to say but I refrain from answering because it hurts so much and prefers to keep my strength because I feel that it will be long.

April and Choi crouch down "Malia we're here". It hurts so much that the tears fall on their own.

Then Rhodes joined them "what do we have?" he asks.

April tries to reassure me as best she can "Malia, Malia everything is fine, we are here". Doctor Choi asks me "where do you hurt the most?".

"My leg, my leg hurts a lot" I answer. April adds "she is bleeding a lot".

I admit that I am starting to panic a bit "I lost too much blood, I'm going to die. April you need to call Kelly and tell him I'm sorry. Do whatever you can to save the baby".

April tells me right away "don't say that. We will get you out of there Malia and no one will have to make a choice".

I hear Rhodes say "yes I see her thigh is cut, it looks like it's right in the artery but I can't reach it".

Rhodes and Choi get up to give instructions. April bends down and begins to slip under the car. Doctor Choi walks up and says "April what are you doing stop". April replies "I'm fine, I'm fine".

"It hurts too much, I'm not sure I'll be able to hold on" I say, turning my head to April.

April places her hand on my thigh "sure it comes from the artery". Rhodes asks "Do you think you can do a tourniquet?".

April replies "it's too high on the thigh, I'm not going to be able to clamp either, if I could pass with my fingers, that's it I have succeeded I have my hand on it".

The car moves and descends a little more on us.

"April I'm not sure you have to stay there, you might hurt yourself. I'm going to make it on my own at least until someone manages to get Kelly on the phone," I say looking at her.

The doctor leans towards us "April you can't stay here". April says "I can't let go of her artery".

Rhodes adds "only she can keep her alive for now. The firefighters will arrive, we must hold on".

I hear Rhodes say "Ethan you tell me when you're ready to free Malia, okay?". Doctor Choi replies "yeah okay".

While he takes care of the driver, I look April straight in the eye "you tell Kelly I'm sorry. And April if there has to be a choice, I repeat myself you have to choose the baby. He will be born premature but I know I have a little warrior inside of me. You have to promise me April that you will do anything to save my baby".

A tear leaves her eyes and she answers "I promise you but I stay with you".

The car is still moving and Ethan leans "April".