Chapter 30

We spent our first Christmas at three and the first in the house. I had decorated the whole house earlier in the month. We had made the tree with Kelly during one of his days off.

On the morning of the 25th, Jaxon woke up a bit early than usual as if he knew it was time to open the presents. Seeing him trying to open his presents was adorable.

We spent the New Year with the other members of the barracks. Jaxon was at home, looked after by the neighbour's daughter, Violette, a student who needs money to be able to go to college. She had already stayed several afternoons at home with Jaxon when I needed help to be able to take care of the house at the same time. I saw her do it and with Kelly we trust her so we let her keep Jaxon.

In addition, the neighbour is adorable. I got to know her by staying with Jaxon at home while Kelly took his shifts. She invited us to her house several times. Her husband passed away a few years ago and she has two other children in addition to Violette. I know that even if for everyday life it's good financially, for Violette's studies it will be something else at the price of studies at the university are.

So if we can help her even a little, it is especially with pleasure that it allows us to enjoy evenings for two with Kelly, which has not happened since Jaxon was born.

Two weeks later.

We are in the kitchen having breakfast before Kelly leaves for his shift when his phone vibrates. I look and it's Seager who says thank you.

"Kelly, you received a text" I point out to him. "Thank you, that's why?" I ask as he looks at his phone.

"Seager had a few questions about cases that we hadn't had time to wrap up before I quit working in the investigation office," Kelly informs me.

"And she will continue to stay around?" I question.

"Yeah maybe if she needs help" Kelly answers me. "I assure you it's professional," he adds when he sees my face.

" I know very well that it is on your side but I am not sure that it is very clear from her " I say before kissing him and going to see Jaxon who has certainly just woken up because I can hear him cry.

The next evening, we go to Molly's, after leaving Jaxon with Violette. We're at the bar when I see Seager arriving. I leave Kelly and watch them from afar. She hands him a file, she talks to him but I can't hear what she says to him. Kelly observes the file before returning it to her. Then Seager leaves.

I go back to see him. "You were probably right about Seager," Kelly tells me. " know but you handled it like a pro" I says all smiles.

* time jump *

Kelly's birthday was a month ago. The three of us did it quietly at home and as if Jaxon knew it was his father's birthday, he stood up for the first time. Our son amazes us a little more every day.

I will resume my nursing job in a few weeks. Jaxon has a place in the hospital day care.

He took his first steps yesterday. He was in his park and when he saw Kelly coming down the stairs, he started walking towards him but was quickly blocked by the park gate. I pulled him out of his playpen and put him back on the ground and he continued to take a few steps towards Kelly.

While Kelly is on call, he calls me at the end of the evening. Sean Roman, a former Chicago cop, showed up at the barracks. I never met him but it seems he was a police officer in the 21 district before I came back to Chicago.

His sister has been missing for several days and her best friend died of an overdose of opiates, the barracks were at the scene of the accident and it was them who found her.