Chapter 25

I have been awake for a few hours. It was explained to me that after I passed out, they only took two minutes to get me out of the car before sending me to the OR. There they managed to repair my artery but I had lost so much blood that they had to perform a Caesarean section to save the baby.

My little boy was therefore born on Saturday March 2, 2019 two months in advance. For a very premature baby, my little guy is doing quite well. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to see him yet because he's under an incubator but Kelly showed me photos and videos.

It's with joy that I announce to you that Jaxon Benny Louis Severide is a handsome one.

I will have to wait a few more days to be able to be moved in a wheelchair before I can meet him. With his incubator, he cannot be moved and the doctors absolutely want to measure his constants continuously.

For my part, I am not about to start work again. It's going to take me several weeks before I can do it all on my own, and all my attention will be on Jaxon anyway. This little guy had to fight to the end to succeed in showing up in this world.

Kelly has just left my room to go see Jaxon.

A nurse is in my room to help me with a quick toilet because after a week without a shower, I can tell you that it is not the joy.

As I have just finished my toilet, April arrives in my room.

"Malia I'm so glad to see you wake up. You scared us a couple of times last week" April tells me.

"Don't tell me about it. So you got to meet Jaxon?" I ask her.

"Yes, you and Kelly had done a great job. He's beautiful," she says, showing me a photo of Kelly holding Jaxon's hand through a hole in the incubator.

"The whole ER team came to see you this week. And I think your little Jaxon already has a few admirers," April tells me, handing me some packages.

I open them and I can't help but shed my little tear as I see all the little clothes there are for Jaxon.

"Thanks April. I think he'll love them," I said, smiling and holding her hand. I would give her a little hug but unfortunately, I have not yet recovered all my strength in my arms.

A week later, I can finally move around with a chair and meet Jaxon. Kelly pushes my chair into the room where Jaxon is. I immediately burst into tears seeing her little body under this incubator with all the threads that leave his body.

"Hello," I say, running my finger through one of the holes in the wall of the incubator. And there it is as if magic is taking place, his little hand immediately wraps around my finger as if Jaxon had immediately understood that his mother was with him.

A nursery nurse who comes to check on the other babies suggests "Jaxon has been here for two weeks. We can now take it out of its incubator for a few minutes without risk. You can take him in your arms for a few moments if you want".

I look at Kelly and the answer immediately comes out of my mouth "with pleasure".

"If the daddy will help me" the nursery nurse asks. I smile when I see them do it because I know it hasn't been an easy two weeks for Kelly, I pull out my phone and film the whole scene. Kelly's eyes light up when Jaxon is finally in his arms. I take a picture and definitely just found my new wallpaper. To see Kelly with Jaxon in his arms, I melt seeing the two men of my life.

Kelly bends down to be at my height and I can't help but let out a "wow" when Jaxon opens his beautiful little eyes. They are exactly the same blue as Kelly's. I fall for so much beauty. I know what I'm going to say is totally cliché but I say it anyway "we really made the most beautiful baby in the world Kelly".

"His mom did a wonderful job" Kelly tells me, hugging me with Jaxon. As soon as I hold it, everything around us disappears. The few minutes to hold Jaxon unfortunately go very quickly but I can't wait to be tomorrow to be able to do it again.

The following weekend, I can finally walk by myself continuously. Jaxon and I are placed in the same room and the hospital has also placed a bed for Kelly, when he comes to sleep there.

During the week, Kelly and I were able to wash Jaxon for the first time. Even though it's one more week in the hospital and it will take a few more before Jaxon can be released, it has been a magical week watching Jaxon's smallest evolutions.

Yesterday, I was finally able to breastfeed him and it was a real moment of connection with my little man.

A few weeks later, today, Saturday May 4, two months after his birth, we can finally bring Jaxon home. There is no longer any danger to his health. We will just have to come and check that everything is fine in a month during a check-up.

I hardly ever returned there myself except to help Kelly set up space in our room for Jaxon because Casey still has not found an apartment. I just hope for him that he's ready to endure short nights.

As I am in the car in the back to be next to Jaxon, I notice that we are not going in the direction of the apartment.

"Kelly? Didn't you take the wrong road by chance? Usually, we don't go there to get back to the apartment," I point out to him.

Kelly looks at me through the rear-view mirror "we just have a little detour to make and then we go back".

"If you say so" I reply observing him, he's hiding something from me.