Chapter 23

Friday, I left for a new guard and Kelly too.

There was an accident at a fair with a shootout and a vehicle driving into the crowd. I find myself in the sorting. There are so many people arriving, it's maddening. We discover that the driver is actually a racist. He is transferred to the prison infirmary and fortunately because just seeing him, I want to vomit being myself mixed.

I then stay with a little boy, Andy, whose father got in the car protecting him and is now getting treatment upstairs. I try to change his mind as best I can. Fortunately, he is a little boy full of courage and good will.

While we are in a room awaiting news from his father, Drs Charles and Halstead arrive. Just to their faces, I feel it's not good. This is confirmed when a few seconds later, Doctor Charles tells Andy that his father is dead. The poor little boy is devastated.

At the end of the afternoon, Maggie and Nathalie, who were on the scene at the time of the accident, arrive at the hospital. They spent a good part of the afternoon treating the victims on the spot with the means at hand.

Maggie arrives in an ambulance because her stitches have failed. She has lost a lot of blood and is dehydrated. Luckily for her, her operation went well. Nathalie also has a problem with her shoulder but nothing serious.

I come home from duty at 6 p.m. and go back to the apartment. I spend the evening alone because Kelly and Matt have their guard which lasts until tomorrow morning.

On Saturday, I go back to the hospital for my duty.

When Kelly comes to pick me up on Saturday at the end of my shift, he is in a better mood because Cruz comes back to 51 for the next shift.

On Monday, we are at the apartment and Kelly is getting ready before leaving for his shift when there is a knock on the door.

"Are you expecting someone?" I ask Matt. "No" he answers before going to open the door and it's Grissom.

Matt asks "Are you coming to see Severide?". Grissom replies "yes".

At this moment Kelly leaves the room. Matt says "okay. Well, we'll meet at the station".

I kiss Kelly, "see you tonight or tomorrow after my shift" I tell him before going out to do some shopping.

On Tuesday, at the hospital, the shift is not too complicated for me. There are some serious cases but I am not addressing them.

In the evening, when I come back to the apartment, it's only Matt who is there and he clearly doesn't look well.

"Kelly isn't coming home?" I ask. "No, he's gone to meet some guys to discuss about Grissom" Matt answers me.

"Are you okay?" I say. "Yes, I'm fine, but I had a rather complicated custody" he replies.

I don't ask any more questions because I see that he doesn't really want to talk about it and I'm going to get ready for my evening with friends.

There is a knock on the door when I have just finished getting ready. Matt is going to open and it's the chaplain "Good evening Matt. Hope you don't mind, I tried to call but, can I come in?".

I leave the apartment to let them chat in private and join some colleagues at a small restaurant in the city center.

Wednesday, Kelly and I spend a quiet day at the apartment. We fall back on some photos of our childhood and we recall good memories. We can see that Casey is under the weather but as he does not want to talk about it, we wait until he decides to talk about what is bothering him.

Thursday, new shift for the boys. I spend the evening alone at the apartment. On Friday, I spend my duty at the hospital. They are understaffed so I am on call longer than usual and spend the night in the hospital as well as the day on Saturday. Kelly reconciled with Grissom while I was on call. This is great news because he's under a lot less stress now.

On Sundays, the boys are on call again. I take this opportunity to have a little cocooning day. I then go to the barracks at the start of the evening to see Kelly because at the moment we don't have much time to see each other.

When I arrive at the barracks, I clearly feel a little tension in the air. Kelly explains to me that Casey is clearly on edge. I'm spending the night at the station because it looks like our little boy is missing his daddy too. He is kicking when I'm close to Kelly.

Monday night, we go to Molly's with Kelly. He talks to Stella about their Sunday intervention because Stella thinks there is a case of child abuse in one of the apartments. They decide to follow a lead with one of the neighbours who could help them. I decide to let them do it and go back to the apartment because I am quite tired.

While I am sleeping, I hear Kelly crawl into bed. He tells me that they managed to find the guy and were able to help the children.

The rest of the week is going quietly for me. My Tuesday and Friday shifts are going very well and for once, there are no serious cases arriving at the hospital, which is rare enough to be noted.