Chapter 27

I am still at the barracks when I am told that during their intervention in the mattress factory, the basement, where a large part of the members of the barracks were, exploded. I am informed that Otis and Sylvie are injured. Otis is particularly so and is in critical condition.

After hearing this, I hurry to put Jaxon in his car seat in the back of Kelly's car and drive off to Chicago Med. I park and place Jaxon in his baby carrier before going to the emergency room. I go through the service entrance and go to the central office. I see Maggie but unfortunately, she has no news for me except that Sylvie is going to have a plaster cast. Otis is still with the doctors, so Maggie can't tell me how bad it is. She just tells me that he arrived very badly and that the doctors who take care of him are doing everything they can.

I then head, still with Jaxon, to the emergency room.

There are so many firefighters in the room that I have a hard time seeing Kelly. Once I find him, I sit down next to him. I don't have much to say but I put Jaxon in Kelly's arms because I think it's only this little face that can bring some comfort in difficult times.

A doctor approaches and Boden gets up to go see him. Seeing his face, we feel that this is not good news. Boden does not need to speak afterwards so that we know that unfortunately Brian will not get over it. He will die a few minutes later with Cruz by his side.

He had a very beautiful ceremony with a lot of emotions and we felt that it was very hard for everyone but especially for those of 51 who had the same shifts as him. I think it's a loss from which the barracks will have a hard time recovering and mourning.

Jaxon is now seven months old. All his control visits went very well.

I still haven't returned to work, but things have happened at the hospital. Nathalie and Will had an accident while they were in the parking lot in Will's car. Nathalie had a head trauma and had to be intubated. Will had a pneumothorax. Doctor Bekker died by committing suicide in front of Doctor Rhodes, after having confessed to killing the latter's father. Doctor Rhodes left the hospital after his events. There was the arrival of a new doctor, Doctor Marcel.

On the side of the firehouse, the major change is Sylvie, who left to live in Anderson with her fiancé. I had some news by phone is even if she does not say it clearly, I understand very well that she does not like it. You only have to hear him talk about his new life, it doesn't suit him at all.

Kelly had a lot of vacation during the summer. We were able to enjoy it as a family. We spent a lot of time between the house and Benny's chalet. Jaxon now manages to sit up on his own for a few seconds. The paediatrician told us that this was very reassuring news. He told us that his prematurity will ultimately not be a problem for his development only he will not grow as fast as if I had reached full term. With Kelly, we still find that Jaxon is growing at an impressive speed. Jaxon looks more and more like Kelly.

After a call from Kelly, in the evening we go to Molly's with Jaxon. I see Cruz sitting at a table all alone. Knowing that he still has not recovered from the death of Otis, I warn Kelly that I will see him. "Look who wanted to see his uncle Cruz" I say placing Jaxon on my hip.

Cruz smiles and even if that's certainly all I would have as a reaction, I'm happy with that for the moment. I place Jaxon on his lap before sitting down next to him. I spend the evening like that watching Cruz smiles and grimaces at Jaxon to try to get as many reactions as possible, before we go home with Kelly.

On the way home, Kelly informs me that there is going to be a commission at the next guard on the factory fire and that they are trying to accuse Casey. The poor man already feels responsible enough like that, he does not need someone to accuse him more months later.