Chapter 18

Two days later, on Friday morning, we go to Benny's house with Kelly's mother Jennifer. I hadn't seen her since my parents died so she had a hard time recognizing me at first. But she quickly congratulated us on the baby when she noticed my round belly starting to appear. At least it gave Kelly a smile which hasn't happened since his father's death was announced.

We are sorting through Benny's belongings and seeing what we need for the church service and funeral on Saturday so tomorrow. Kelly has chosen the first available date.

I'm in the living room sorting out some things when I come across a photo of Kelly and I for his 10th birthday. It was over twenty years ago and we were already inseparable. This picture automatically brings a smile to my face because it reminds me of a very beautiful part of my life. When I was still innocent and hadn't encountered the difficulties of life. My parents were still alive, I had friends and I could live my life as I wanted.

Soon after, Jennifer and Kelly joined me in the dining room. She asks me if I could have found a bronze medal. Kelly adds that it would be in a display case with the inscription "Carter Harrison Award for service". I couldn't find it, but I can see that it's especially bothering Kelly, who has changed his view of his father since he spoke with Boden at the hospital on Wednesday.

Kelly tells me that he wanted to be buried with his medal. "Maybe I can help look for it, you're already doing a lot," I suggested. " It's good Lia, you don't have to worry for the baby," Kelly says no.

"You can let me do it Kel" I retort. I take his face in my hands "I promise to be careful. I'll make some calls and if I need help, I won't hesitate to ask. Deal?" I ask. "Ok. Deal" he answers me. "I have to take my shift but I'll call you later" I announce before giving him a kiss and going to the hospital.

At the hospital, I call during my break the different ex-boyfriends of Benny to ask them if they would have seen the medal but it is without success. At the beginning of my last hour on duty, Maggie tells me that someone at the emergency desk is asking to see me. I go there and find Kelly's half-sister Katie.

"I've heard so much about you," I tell her after we introduce ourselves to each other.

"Likewise. I currently have something you are looking for. My mother told me you called. My dad gave it to me a few years ago when we met again. He said he wanted me to have something nice to remember him by," Katie tells me as she shows me the medal I am looking for for Kelly. "Is this what you're looking for?" Katie asks me.

"Oh that's right. After making all those inconclusive phone calls, I was afraid I would have to give up, not knowing where to look" I hug her. "Katie, thank you for the medal and thank you for being here. Your brother needs you so much" I say. "You're welcome, I'm happy to help you," Katie tells me.

After my shift, I go back to the flat and find Kelly's mother. "How was it today?" I ask her.

"Unreal. It's funny, Benny spent his life improvising his days, but for his death he had planned everything. Kelly is now exhausted, trying to do everything the way Benny wanted in such a short time. I don't know if it's remorse or to turn the page. It's a good thing you're here. I'm really glad he got you," Jennifer admits.

"I hardly do anything. It was Katie who brought the medal back to me at the hospital, I really didn't do anything," I say.

"You do enough. I'm sure Kelly would tell you himself but he's not good at expressing something like that. You are good for him Malia and the baby is all the more reason for him to keep one's feet firmly on the ground. That's easy to see. And Katie would never have thought to bring the gloves if you hadn't called her mother," says Jennifer.