Chapter 20

Wednesday, Kelly returns to Boyd, to work on his boat. He got confused with him about his son, Riley. Boyd didn't like the way he spoke to his son, as Kelly only explained to him the childhood he lived with Benny without criticizing his actions as a father although I know he thinks none the less.

Thursday, Boyd fires him while Kelly came to work in the morning on the boat. I find it out when he comes back to the apartment while I'm with Casey who is cleaning up the remaining smoke dust and ash from any items he has been able to save.

On his way home, he suggests that with Casey, they go see a hockey game after their guard in Detroit. It's to clear his mind after what happened with Boyd and I think he needs it after seeing how he takes care of his son.

They then go to the barracks to take their shift.

While I'm at the apartment quietly, I receive a text from Casey warning me that Kelly has been accused of starting the fire at Boyd's house.

I hurry to go to the barracks. I arrive and I see him being questioned by an inspector. As soon as he leaves the room, I hasten to ask "are you okay? what happened?" while taking him in my arms.

Kelly replies "they told me to get a lawyer, but I don't think it's necessary". He leaves then in his office and I follow him seeing well that this story works him. He tells me their intervention and how once out of the garage Boyd accused him of having set fire to be revenge for being fired. This guy is really nuts, I've never heard anything so absurd.

We've been in his office for a few tens of minutes, Kelly is doing some paperwork when we see Riley in front of his office door.

He begins directly by saying "I started the fire". "I know" Kelly replies. "How did you know?" Riley asks.

Kelly gives a small smile and explains "I told you a dozen times how dangerous it is to leave rags full of oil lying around, how flammable it is and I've never seen you forget them once".

"I hate him", Riley says of his father. With Kelly we leave his office and Kelly walks towards him "we are going to sit down". I put him on my knees and Kelly faces us.

Kelly tries to make him understand the repercussions of his actions "the way he acts with you, with everyone, it's his problem, it's not yours. What is your problem is how you react to it. And I know it's not the right way and it doesn't look like you. The good news is that no one is hurt. We were lucky".

Riley starts to cry so I give him a little more hug. He wipes his eyes lowering his head.

Kelly said right away "Riley look at me. We were lucky. But to move forward is not to be lucky. It's not about your father or how he acts, it's about you and only you. It's about how you decide to react to his actions. Choose to be better than him".

Riley answers a little "ok". Kelly looks at him with a thin smile and says "now we have something to do". Riley immediately replies "I did it. I told my father". Kelly supports him "very well".

Later we take him outside when we are told that his father has arrived. "We're going to send him to therapy, I assure you", Boyd tells Kelly. Kelly leans over to Riley and says "you choose". Riley gives him a hug.

Boyd doesn't look happy "get in the car Riley". Watching them drive away, I ask Kelly "do you think he's going to be okay?". "I hope so" he replies.

On Friday evening, after guard, Matt and Kelly go to see their hockey game in Detroit. I decide to stay quietly at the apartment especially since I had a pretty strong day emotionally.

Indeed, I decided to go to the graves of my parents. I didn't do this until the very beginning of my return to Chicago. I told them all that has happened in my life since my return, with my reunion with Kelly and my pregnancy as major events.

When Kelly and Matt return to the apartment after the next shift, they tell me about the intervention Matt's team had at the end of the morning. They arrived at the scene where there was a motorcycle accident which was reported by a police officer. Sadly, the driver died and before he died, he addressed Matt as if he was his son.

In the evening, we go to Molly's. The son of the driver of the motorcycle that Kelly and Matt told me about earlier in the day, comes to see them. He explains that he doesn't think his father may have died in a self-created accident because he was the best driver he knew. He then asks if his camera has been found as he was still driving with a camera with him and he did not have it in the items he was given. Matt and Kelly are unaware of the existence of a camera but tell him that they are going to watch.

The next day, Monday, new guard for Kelly. I am still on sick leave so I spend the day Monday and Tuesday looking for everything we will need for the baby. As I know that we are going to have a little boy, I take this opportunity to also look at the decoration of his future room. While shopping, I couldn't resist buying some clothes, some of them were so cute. On Tuesday, Kelly joins me at the end of his shift and we take the opportunity to buy the furniture that I had spotted the day before.

That evening at Molly's, Matt tells me that it was the police officer who had reported the accident, who was its cause. Indeed, they found the camera, which was initially placed on the helmet, and the recorded images showed the video of the accident very well. I find it terrible not to know how to recognize your mistake. Accidents happen and it can happen to anyone, but you have to know how to recognize your mistakes.

On Wednesdays, we buy decorative items. We do not set up the baby's room yet because the apartment has only two bedrooms. The one we occupy with Kelly and the one Matt occupies while waiting to find an apartment. Having only just started my fifth month of pregnancy, we have time anyway before setting up the bedroom. We have already discussed it a bit with Kelly and we said to ourselves that maybe in the future we will have to find either a bigger apartment or a house. Personally, I want my future child, maybe my future children according to what the future holds, to be able to grow up with a minimum of greenery around them.

Fortunately, the weekend and the following week passed quietly. Kelly alternates between the guards at the barracks and the days off at the apartment.

On Monday, I go to the hospital to have the stitches checked on my shoulder. The wound has healed well. The doctor takes away my points and allows me to return to work. I am very happy because I missed working. Especially since I know that I will have to stop before the end of my pregnancy. Certainly, earlier with all the medical events that have happened to me over the past few months. I make an appointment for a follow-up ultrasound tomorrow before starting my shift.