Chapter 10.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad!  Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 10.3

The cafeteria to Lawrence Hall was especially bright. Light from the morning sun poured in through the large floor-to-ceiling glass windows that surrounded half the room in the dining area. Nathan could almost see Lawrence Road, despite the many pine trees that lined the back of the building. 

Nathan noticed most of the gang was already seated at their usual table. But where is Jonathan Black? he wondered. I guess he wasn't serious about changing his behavior like he promised to Erin the night before. "Erin is going to kill him," he chuckled. 

Carefully, he left the cafeteria counter and tried not to spill his large glass of orange juice that was filled to the brim. He took a seat next to Lafonda. Angela, Alan, Lafonda and Erin were engrossed in a conversation, and he hoped that no one would notice him. He scanned the cafeteria and caught a glimpse of Jonas joking around with Eva Marie Evans, Samantha Darding and Christina Williams.

A red cardinal landed on the branch of the tree outside the window in front of him, but Nathan hardly noticed it. His thoughts were elsewhere. He couldn't stop his mind from revisiting his recent dream about Grimm Cemetery. "Ugh," he murmured. There was a blank look on his face. All I know for sure is that it will eventually happen, he thought. All of my dreams about Leah happened, so why would this one be any different?

Nathan's stomach twisted into knots as he remembered overhearing Lafonda and Amanda talking about Leah at Lafonda's birthday party. He blinked his eyes, realizing that was the moment his life had changed forever. Checking the yearbook to confirm Leah was the person in his dreams had been his last chance at denial.

He drew a big breath and then sighed heavily, finally noticing the red cardinal in the tree outside his window as it hopped from branch to branch. The cardinal finally stopped to flutter its wings before choosing to nestle on the side of the tree that received the most sun.

Everything is changing, Nathan thought.

Nathan couldn't remember the last time he had just sat around and done nothing. Sure, this wasn't his first year at camp and he expected to have activities day and night, but this year was different. He couldn't even recall the last time he'd actually had a restful night's sleep without waking up startled by a dream. And when he wasn't asleep, his thoughts were overwhelmed with the strange things that seemed to be constantly happening to him. 

He took a sip of orange juice and then stared intently at his hands. And now, apparently, I have blue flames that come out of my hands. This is getting way too weird.

Nathan's vacant expression turned sad as he wished that he knew when it all would happen. A sickening feeling crept into his stomach. I wish I knew how we all end up in a cemetery.

The sound of laughter coming from another table interrupted his thoughts. Nathan recognized Jonas's voice and turned around to see a huge smile on the camper's face. Christina Williams had Jonas's basketball and was teasing not to give it back to him.

"Earth to Nathan?" called out a familiar voice.

Nathan turned around to find Lafonda glaring at him. He raised his eyebrows in response to her stare. "What?"