Chapter 18.1 (A Light In the Dark)

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad!  Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 18.1

Nathan sat quietly, looking into the fire. Darkness had set in and a cool breeze gently nudged the flames towards the lake. He thought about the evening and how Malick had repeatedly dodged his questions about the Order. He had hoped that by the time they were done filling the fire pits Malick would have at least answered one of his questions. But he hadn't. The only thing Nathan was able to get out of him was a slight reaction when he mentioned his theory that the Order was a part of some secret organization. Based on Malick's reaction, particularly his repeated attempts to find out how he developed this theory, Nathan concluded he was probably on the right track.

Nevertheless, he was still clueless, and Malick apparently wanted him to stay that way. He'd insisted that Nathan was better off not knowing and told him to stop asking questions. Nathan recalled his exact words were "remain in the dark." By the time the fires were set, Nathan was so frustrated that he was relieved when Malick volunteered to help LaDonda escort a sick camper, Drew Waters, back to Lawrence Hall. 

Nathan continued to look into the fire but his gaze was broken by the sound of laughter followed by a sudden crack of thunder. Lightning struck violently across the sky and a dark gray thunder cloud slowly made its way over Lake Charleston and the bonfire area.  

"Wahoo!" shouted Hugo. "We made it to the last bonfire before it rained."

Jonas and Christina Williams sat on the other side of the fire while Andy high-fived Hugo behind them. "Yes!" he yelled. "Camp is officially over."

"Come on," said Alan, who was sitting next to Christina. "Camp wasn't that bad, was it?"

"Technically," chimed in Angela, "camp isn't over. We still have the closing ceremony tomorrow."

"Yeah," said Hugo. "But leadership classes are done and there are no more projects!"

"You know, Andy," said Eva Marie, with a cup of water in her hand, "I never saw your last project." She glared at him skeptically. "Are you sure you even completed yours?"

Andy's face turned red, almost matching his hair color. "Yes, I did," he said, sounding rather annoyed.

Hugo laughed. "Yeah, I guess you can call what you turned in finished," he said.

Andy's face went from red to sour. "Whatever," he muttered. "I got it done."

Eva Marie laughed. "I probably didn't get to see it because you probably turned it in late."

"I'll show you late!" shouted Andy. He grabbed Eva Marie by the waist and threw her over his shoulder.

"Aaah!" she yelled, her feet dangling in the air.

Andy had a wide grin on his face. "How about some water to cool you off?" he asked.

Andy headed towards the lake and Hugo let out a huge laugh. Eva Marie windmilled her hands and feet in an attempt to get down. "Don't you dare Andy! Put me down!" she yelled. Eva Marie's cup of water flew out of her hand and landed in Jonas' lap, wetting his pants and spraying water into Christina's face.

"Hey!" yelled Christina.

Angela quickly rose to her feet. She had her purple hairbrush in her hand and pointed it at him. "Okay, Andy, that's enough," she scolded. "Put her down and knock it off!"