Chapter 14.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 14.3

Nathan watched from the back of the lounge as everyone came in and took seats. He was surprised that, although there were seats still open, some took to the floor. When he turned around, Jonas was no longer standing next to him. Where did he run off to? he wondered.

Nathan searched around the room to see if he could find Jonas. He stood on the tips of his toes and tried to see further back and over the crowd. As he was scanning the different faces for Jonas, he saw a familiar face looking back at him. Malick grinned and headed towards him.

"So look who found a way to get out of work today," chuckled Malick.

Nathan grinned. "Ha-ha," he said. "Tonight's bonfire was only canceled due to the rain, and not because of me."

"I know, I know," said Malick with hands up in the air. "I was just teasing you." He ran his hand through his hair. "So, what happened to you?" he asked. "If the bonfire was canceled tonight, why weren't you at dinner?"

Nathan's eyes quickly darted over Malick's shoulder. He continued to look for Jonas. "Oh," he said. "I ate quick and left early today."

Malick had a confused look on his face.

"I knew that LaDonda would have something else planned for us, so I wanted to call my grandfather before whatever that was got started," he said. "You know, before I forgot about it."

"Got it," Malick said.

Nathan's eyes perked up. He got a glimpse of Jonas heading towards the cafeteria doors. "Excuse me, Malick, but I wanted to talk to Jonas about something."

He tried to quickly maneuver through the crowd of counselors and campers while keeping a watchful eye on Jonas.

"Jonas!" he called out.

Jonas froze as if his hands had been caught in a cookie jar. He slowly turned around, but suddenly looked relieved.

"Oh," he uttered, his breath sounding a little labored. "It's you, Nathan."

Nathan was a little mystified. "Yeah," he replied. "Were you expecting someone else?"

"Oh — no," said Jonas. He smiled wearily. "You just caught me off guard."

Nathan had a skeptical look on his face. "Caught off guard from what?" he asked.

"Oh, it's nothing," responded Jonas. "I was just heading into the cafeteria to grab something I'd forgotten."

"Wait," said Nathan, catching Jonas by the arm. "How are you doing?"

Jonas raised his eyebrows. He looked confused.

Nathan leaned in closer and then spoke softly, "You know," he said, "how are you dealing with everything else? You know, with your ability and —"

"Oh, you mean with the monsters and having no memory of how I got there. I just don't think about it," he shrugged. "I just concentrate on something else."

Like your brother? said Nathan to himself.

Jonas took a deep breath. "Well, it looks like LaDonda will be starting soon," he said. "I better go grab my stuff."