Chapter 6.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 6.3

The rest of the morning seemed to drag for Nathan and possibly for some of the campers by the solemn looks on their faces. The first class they attended talked about persuasive communication and how to inspire people to work together and to share goals. Nathan found that class somewhat interesting and was surprised he didn't have a hard time keeping his eyes open. He found the next class on exploring leadership styles a real snoozer, and by the third class, Lafonda had to keep nudging him to prevent him from falling asleep.

As the day progressed, the summer sun combined with the notorious Illinois humidity had everyone screaming for cold pop or ice-cold water. To make matters worse, the air conditioning unit stopped working during the last class of the day. Nathan was positive that no one was paying attention, and even after several attempts by campers and Nathan himself, the instructor refused to cancel the class. It wasn't until Lafonda pointed out that it was cooler outside and that they could finish the lecture outdoors that the instructor was willing to relocate.

Nathan thought it was definitely cooler under the shade of the trees than in the classroom. He welcomed any breeze at this point, and with evening approaching, the sun was much more bearable. As the instructor went on about the importance of having integrity and what it means to be an integral person, he gladly allowed his mind to wonder elsewhere. 

The birds, the trees and the few students walking on campus were an easy distraction. It wasn't until everyone started to stand up that Nathan realized the lecture was over. As the campers started to assemble in line over by Lafonda to be escorted back to Lawrence Hall, a familiar shape caught his eye. He thought that maybe one of the campers had walked away but quickly realized that the familiar shape darting across the quad was Jonathan Black.

Where is he heading off to so quickly? Shouldn't he be helping Erin escort their group back to Lawrence Hall? He kept a watchful eye on Jonathan as his group headed back to the dormitory.

Jonathan darted up the steps and into the Katherine Schmidt building. Nathan assumed Jonathan was most likely going to see Dr. Helmsley, since the Department of Archeological Studies was housed there. Nathan knew this because he'd had a class in the lecture hall of that building during his first semester.

"So, are you ready to spend time with Mr. Wonderful this evening?" asked Lafonda, interrupting his concentration.

"Do you mean Malick?"

"The one and only," she sighed, as they walked back to Lawrence Hall. "I hope he won't be more of a nuisance out there than a help."

Nathan's mind began to wander back to Jonathan as Lafonda continued to complain about Malick. "Did Jonathan say anything about leaving camp early at breakfast this morning?" Nathan asked.

"Nope," Lafonda responded confidently. She paused for a moment and then shrugged. "Well, at least not that I remember. Why are you asking?"

"I was just curious," he said.

Nathan was more than just curious but definitely didn't want to involve Lafonda at this point. She would more than likely make a big deal about it, but he wanted to know what Jonathan was up to first.