16 | worries

"The worst thing you can do to yourself is stress about issues that are beyond your control."

-

16 | worries

*Fleur London*

"You know you can't do anything, right?" Tammy said, as she shoved a spoonful of choco-chip ice cream in her mouth. 

I sighed and nodded, twirling my spoon in my own tub of ice cream as I had no appetite. 

"It is not under the jurisdiction of an alpha to interfere with their member's personal matters like mating. You cannot interfere until she personally asks you to." 

"I know that." I drawled, throwing my head back and letting it fall on the pillow. 

We were having another movie night. We haven't started the movie yet as Jeremiah is also supposed to be here but he's running late. 

Tammy blinked as she looked at me. "Then why are you so upset?"

"I'm upset because I feel bad for her, yet I cannot do anything." I was talking about Madeline and how I wanted to help her with her business with Domingo. 

Tammy pursed her lips. "That's really silly, Fleur. The worst thing you can do to yourself is stress about issues that are beyond your control. It's useless to do so. We can stress ourselves and improve the conditions that we can alter, that are under our control." 

"I'm trying to think of anything I can do for her without crossing my boundaries." I muttered. 

"The guy's a human, right?" She said. 

I nodded. 

"That makes it even harder. Chap's doing nothing wrong by dating someone. It's not like he knows he's cheating on his mate or anything. The number one rule for all werewolves by the council is that we cannot try to manipulate or control humans." 

I threw a glare at her. "I know the rules, Tam, why do you keep trying to remind me of them." 

She looked a bit taken aback by my outburst but shrugged. "Just trying to make sure you don't make a mistake. Your coronation time is getting near." 

A wave of guilt passed me. I wondered if I hurt her when I didn't mean to. Maybe I just overreacted. She was just trying to keep me in check. 

"I appreciate you for that, Tam." I told her, smiling. 

One thing I've learned along the way. 

Don't be too nice to people. Don't be too rude either. Just be nice enough. Nice enough for them not to deem you as someone insolent, but at the same time, leave some of the niceness out for them to take you seriously. 

"So any luck with finding your mate?" She asked, changing the topic. 

My heart dropped at the mention of his and I immediately turned my head towards the window.

"Nope." I lied.

<><><>

"Sam, you are the man!" I whispered to Samuel as he rummaged through my father's documents in a hurry for the file of Madeline's family. 

The documents containing personal information like address, occupation, assets, loans etc. of the members lie with the alpha. I didn't have the power of accessing them yet, but I improvised. 

Samuel is my father's secretary and he kind of has a crush on me. He never said it. But I know. 

He can't say it to me because of my position in the pack and because of his fear for my father— so I chose to act clueless and kind of take advantage of his weakness.