25 | heart of gold

"Because she gave me a reason to keep him."

-

25 | heart of gold

*Fleur London*

"Huh?" Madeline blinked, probably finding it difficult to swallow so much information at once. It was all too justifiable considering she just found out that her mate's name that she knew isn't his actual name, that he's under run, that he was or perhaps still is, madly in love with someone else and most importantly that he's under the council's scrutiny. 

"Maddy, don't stress out. You have plenty of time to make a decision. Domingo is safe with us for now." I said, squeezing her arms. I usually don't like showing my soft side to ordinary pack members. But Maddy is different… she's strangely more like a friend, than a mere pack member. 

"No… I just…" she mumbled, looking down for a second. "I can't believe it." 

Her eyes started suddenly welling with tears and she pursed her lips, trying to stop herself from doing so. 

"It must have been so hard for him. Losing his family, his home, constantly being on a run. I knew he works hard and that he doesn't have it easy… but I never imagined it'd be like this." The last words slurred a bit as she sniffled. 

"I can't believe I had thought of rejecting him when he needs me." Her voice cracked when she said so.

After half a minute of silence, she seemed to toughen up as she wiped her tears, "But I'm thankful… I am grateful that I had not rejected him yet. Maybe Moon goddess saved me from doing it."

"Yeah, if you would have rejected him, we couldn't have saved him this way." I mumbled. 

A small smile formed on her lips, "It's all fate. I'll take care of him. What do I have to do?"

"Maybe Alpha Fleur can write a letter to the council regarding that fact that Andrew found his mate in her pack?" Olivia butted in. She and I were the only ones present in the room with Maddy. Olivia had insisted on coming, because she wanted to personally tell Maddy everything about Domingo's past. 

'She deserves to at least meet the person who put her mate in such danger,' she had said. 'I want to go so that I can apologize to her for the wrongs that happened because of me.'

"My father won't want me to get on the bad side of the council by writing such a letter." I said. 

"Maddy," I turned towards her. "You can write the letter under your own name. What needs to be written will be conveyed to you by my father's secretary Samuel. Okay?"

She nodded, vigorously, her eyes diverting towards Olivia for a flash of a second. 

I took it as a hint. 

"Olivia, can you leave us alone for a while?" I asked, politely. 

"Yeah sure, I just…" she said before going away, "I'd just like to apologize, Madeline. Unknowingly I have become one of the kind of people I hate the most. The ones that hurt a mate bond. I just want to let you know I never meant to, and that I'll deeply repent my negligence forever. I wish you all the luck and love and I'd pray for you to get together. Forgive me, whenever you can bring yourself to do so." 

Maddy gave her a small smile in response and Olivia left.

I tried to read the emotions behind Madeline's eyes and smile but there were so many that it was hard to pinpoint one. 

"Can I ask for a favor?" She said, breaking the silence. I nodded in response. 

"I've heard that you're going to Alpha Malcolm's palace for a contract marriage. Can I… can I come with you?"