08 | witnesses

"Sailing through life is like chasing a deadline. We try so hard to accomplish things but we never know how it'd end. We might get things we didn't even work for, and yet, there will be things that we might lose despite having worked hard for them."

-

08 | witnesses

*Fleur London*

"So, how did it turn out?" My father asked me as soon as I entered the house.

Chance and I ended up having quite a long conversation on pack matters and politicals and I found out that his mate was actually the one that overthrew the Alpha. He is lucky to have such a strong mate.

"He's not my mate." I said, quietly, skipping on the part that he has found his mate. He must have a reason for not having announced her as luna yet.

The disappointment was quite evident on my father's face as he sighed.

"You stayed out till so long, so I was hopeful."

I bit my lip. "I'm still just 21, I'm young."

"It's not the you are not young. You are. You are young enough to have an opportunity to atleast look for your mate, but not young enough to sit back and relax," he argued. "What I am worried about is your nonchalance. You know that Alpha's take over the throne at 22, right? You'll turn 22 in 10 months. So if you don't find your mate in that time, you will be forced to mate with someone who is not your soulmate and it will be a marriage of convenience. Will you be okay with that?"

His words made me freeze. It is the truth I've always known, but whenever it tried to bother me, I'd shove it back to the corners of my mind.

I didn't want to think I might have to live my entire life without my mate if I'm too late in finding him.

"Anyway," he said, rubbing his temples. "What deal did you finalize?"

"He gave us 0.1% shares of his perfume business in return for training an army of 100 amateurs of their pack. That would require atleast 6 of our good warriors." I replied. "But since our pack is dealing with a notorious intruder these days, I figured it'd be too danger to send 6 good warriors to another pack. I asked him to wait for a while but he wanted to hurry this, so I offered a mid ground. 50 people from his pack will reside in guest houses of ours, and they'll be trained by 3 of our warriors such that our pack's safety is also ensured, and 3 will go to their pack."

He thought for a little while before nodding. "Sounds fair enough. Plus shares from their perfume business are goor. However, next time try to snag a deal with shares of their pharmaceutical company. I have a feeling that that is going to bloom."

"Okay."

"You did a good job, Fleur."

<><><>

"Domingo, have you ever had a deadline that seemed impossible to reach? Like it's so uncertain that even if you give it all you have, you might not be able to reach it. But it's so important that you can't ignore it either." I asked, as I started cleaning the table as soon as the costumers left.

He looked up from the cash counter for a brief second before looking back down. Then he stopped for a moment before answering.

"Isn't that the best way to describe life in general?" He asked, rhetorically.

"Sailing through life is like chasing a deadline. We try so hard to accomplish things but we never know how it'd end. We might get things we didn't even work for, and yet, there will be things that we might lose despite having worked hard for them." He continued.