9.

School the next day is very quiet. Everybody is on edge. The five boys aren't allowed to meet in the morning due to new rules placed by the school. They head to their classes early that day.

As Soobin and Taehyun walk into their class together, they are met with a strange sight, all the desks are split up into pairs. The two boys decide to sit next to each other until the teacher explains what's going on. 

"Class, starting from now on, our school will be incorporating the buddy system. Please sit next to someone you would feel safe and comfortable with," the teacher explains.

Taehyun and Soobin look at each other and nod, both happy to be each other's buddy. The quiet is interrupted when a girl walks over to the two boys.

"Hey, Soobin, I was wondering if you wanted to be my partner," the girl asks.

"I'm sorry Ara, I already agreed to be Taehyun's partner," Soobin responds politely.

"Are you sure Soobinie? I think I would be a much better buddy than him," she asks again.

"Ara! I've already told you I have a partner! Please leave me alone!" Soobin shouts at her.

The class grows quiet at the sudden sound and stares at the girl nervously looking around in the middle of the room. Embarrassed, the girl sits down in a random seat and hopes someone sits with her.

"That was kind of harsh Soobin," Taehyun states after the class went back to minding their own business.

"Taehyun, if you knew her as well as I did, you would think I was being easy on her," Soobin points out.

Taehyun nods and the two boys pull out the materials they need for this class.

Across the school, a similar situation was happening in the other three boys' class.

"Too bad we can't be in groups of three," Yeonjun sighs.

"It's ok, I can work with someone else," Kai states, and Beomgyu frowns.

"But who? You're only friends with us," Beomgyu asks.

"True, but I do know other people as well. Besides, if the person who sits with me doesn't seem trustworthy I'll move," Kai responds with a soft smile.

Beomgyu gives a small nod and sits down next to Yeonjun. Kai sits by himself behind the pair. He watches as the class quickly pairs up. I was kind of hoping more people would want to sit next to me...

His thoughts are interrupted when a boy softly taps his shoulder. He turns around and sees a familiar face.

"I don't know if you remember me but we worked on a project together," the boy states and scratches his nape.

"Of course I remember you, Hyungsik, right?" Kai asks and the boy smiles.

"Yeah! I was wondering if you needed a partner. I don't know a lot of people and I saw you sitting alone so..." Hyungsik trails off.

"Don't worry, I need a partner as well. Here, sit down," Kai states and pats the seat next to him.

Hyungsik sits down and the two boys catch up on how each other's life has been. Yeonjun suddenly turns around to talk to Kai and notices a boy sitting next to him. 

"Who's this?" Yeonjun asks, interrupting the two boys' conversation.

"Oh, this is Hyungsik, we worked on a project together during the beginning of the year," Kai smiles and Yeonjun raises an eyebrow.