Chapter 39

-Zayn-

I reluctantly sat next to Harry as everyone gathered around the kitchen table. His mother made tea, sitting across from Harry and gripping her mug, waiting for the news. His stepfather sat beside her, looking at Harry.

Harry had suggested they sit down to hear the news, hoping it wouldn't be as awkward if we were settled with tea.

I was extremely uncomfortable, but the hot tea did soothe me.

"So, Harry where's Louis?" Anne asked again, quietly.

Harry sighed, resting his elbows on the table. "We broke up. It was my fault, it's the past."

Rob sighed, while Gemma gave her brother a disappointed stare.

"Your fault?" Anne echoed, raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah, it doesn't matter, mum." He said shaking his head.

"Harry, you were engaged to him I think it matters." Gemma spoke up, leaning back against the counter and folding her arms.

"Thanks Gem." Harry muttered, looking at the table.

"It does matter, Harry I'd like to know what happened since you hardly tell me anything." Anne said angrily.

"I cheated on him and he left me. Yes I was hurt, he was hurt, but it's over now." Harry said.

"We grew apart after I met someone else." He added, looking back at his mother.

"Someone else? Are you in another relationship?" Anne asked.

I fidgeted, trying to think of an escape.

Harry glanced at me, biting at his lower lip. "Um, yeah actually."

"Same one you cheated on Louis with?" Gemma scoffed.

"Listen, what matters is I've found the person I'm meant to be with." Harry said calmly.

"Alright Harry, what's her name?" Anne asked, making me feel even more uncomfortable. Her?

Harry cleared his throat, and the silence was killing me.

"I need a smoke." I said, quickly getting up.

"No, Zayn." Harry said, grabbing my hand and making me sit back down.

He held my hand on the table, looking at his mother. I felt my face heat up, and all I wanted was to run away.

However, I was frozen.

Rob glanced at our hands, then at Anne. She stared at our hands, laughing softly.

"Oh." She eventually said, looking at Harry and me.

I swallowed thickly.

"Zayn, is it?" Anne asked, clearing her throat and looking at me.

I nodded, folding my hands in my lap. Harry reached over and took my hand again, interlocking our fingers. It was difficult to discreetly reject his affection, so I dealt with it.

"How long have you two been a thing?" Gemma asked.

"Almost a month." Harry answered squeezing my hand.

"What do you do for a living?" Anne asked me politely. I could still feel her disappointment from learning  that her son wasn't dating a girl.

"I'm...training to be a tattoo artist." I replied, figuring it wasn't exactly a lie.

"Tell me more about yourself, Zayn." Anne said, sipping her tea and focusing on me.

"Harry? A word please." Rob said, getting up and exiting the room.