15

Ryan's POV: 

"I hate working here. Can I not get whistled at for one moment? " I complained. 

"It's sex work. You're getting paid to look hot, " Ruby reminded me. Ruby was my co-worker. And the only person who spoke to me. And yes, we're pornographic actresses. 

I touched my eye makeup. "I wish that the scenes that we did were all fake. That would make it so much better."

"Bitch, you need a boyfriend." She flipped her long, wavy blue hair over her shoulder. 

A heat rose to my cheeks as I immediately thought about someone.

"You have someone in mind?" She pushed, being the gossip-obsessed girl that she is.

"I may have my eyes on someone in particular," I confessed quietly. 

"Spill. We have five minutes."

"Well, we met when I was away." I still had yet to tell anyone the real reason why I'd left. But I think that Ruby secretly knows that I have an image problem. "And he's just too good to be real. He cares for me like no one else. And he's not afraid to be vulnerable in front of me. And he's so..." I bit my lip, "he's so goddamn hot."

"What's his name?" She asked. 

"Denis. Denis Shaforostov, but Stoff for short."

"An alias? Is he famous?"

"He's in some rock band or something. I don't know exactly. I'm not really into that stuff. But he's pretty good at singing."

"You've heard him sing?"

"Ugg, it's too perfect."

"Do you have a picture?"

I thought for a moment. "No, but I can probably find his Instagram. Hang on a sec." I took my phone out and searched his name, finding his profile immediately. I showed her the page. 

"Damn girl, you've got some good taste. I hope it works out for you." She looked in the mirror and fixed her lipstick.

"That's just the problem. He likes someone else. He likes his best friend's fiancé."

"That's a shame. I bet she's-"

"He. He likes another guy."

"Oh, do you think that he's gay?" She asked. 

"I don't really know. I don't think so, but he might be." I ran my fingers through my hair, not bothering to use a comb. 

"Well, when you win him over, then you can quit."

"What if I never do?" I asked, hopeless.

Ruby put her hands on my shoulders, and I felt her long acrylic nails touch my shoulder blades, sending chills all through my body. "You'll get him, I promise. I just know that you will."

I looked at her. "Can you read me?"

"Of course I can." She took my right hand into hers and started tracing up my lines. "You'll fall in love young, but get married later in life. And you're going to decide not to have any children. But you only marry once, so that's a good sign. Aside from this, you die at the ripe age of seventy-five."

"And what if none of that happens?"

"Fate doesn't play out into the hands of God, but rather can be harnessed by that of which possesses the fate."

"Translate?" I asked, not understanding her advice.

"Nothing's set in stone, but if you believe that something is going to happen, then you must take the opportunity to make it happen. If the time is right, ask him out. Maybe you'll end up together, maybe you won't. You don't have to know everything to know that you're going to have a happy ending."

"How come you're so philosophical? You're in the wrong line of work. " I crossed my arms. 

"Because opportunity came knocking on my door. You don't think I was always this way, do you?" 

"The philosophy or the sex?"

"The sex silly. I've waited for the day that people ask me to do them. And it's finally come. People never wanted to hang with me because of the philosophy. Now, all I have to do is show off a little skin and then I have a night of fun." She looked at me. "How come you're in this line of work?"

"Because my writing career never really took off," I sighed. It was true. Apparently, if you're not writing what sells, then you're not going to be an author at all. It was depressing to think about. 

She puffed out her bottom lip. "I'm sure things will get better for you."

I was about to respond, but my phone went off with a notification. I looked at it, surprised to see an unfamiliar number. I wonder who got it? I read the message. 

Unknown: It's Denis ;)

I replied immediately. 

Me: How did u find me???

Unknown: I've got skills. Plus I saw it on a list at the suicide house

Me: That makes sense

Me: What's up?

While I waited for him to type his response, I added him to my contacts. 

Denis: I assume that at this point, you know what my true feelings for Ben are

Me: Yep

Denis: *were

Me: what

Denis: I let him go

Me: What

Denis: He's engaged for God's sake 

Denis: I needed to move on and look forward to my future

Me: Why are u telling me this?

Denis: You. aside from Ben, are the only person that knows. I had to tell someone

I chuckled. 

Me: feel good to get it off of your chest?

Denis: You've got no idea

Me: where r u now?

Denis: The States

Me: we're an ocean away from each other?

Denis: T . T

Denis: I know

Me: saves me money for that restraining order 

Denis: lol you can't stay away from me

Me: I take that as a challenge

Denis: please don't stay away from me T . T

Me: I'm kidding, I'm kidding

"Can I have an invitation to the party in your head?" Ruby asked me. "The break's over."

I sighed. "Oh, alright."

Me: I've gotta go. Ttyl

Denis: T . T noooooooo

Denis: byeeee