7

Ryan's POV:

"Lily?" I croaked, seeing familiar figure approach me. I was not surprised that it wasn't Denis. Not only because it was him that I wanted to see me, but also because as far as I knew he was locked away in his room. 

"Denis is so worried," She told me, sitting down by my bed. I'd been moved to a real hospital for malnutrition. This isn't the first time that this has happened. And I'm waiting for the tube.

"How would you know?" He isn't allowed any visitors, is he?

"He ran away, came to us, and told me so. He told me that we needed to come and get you. I think he thinks that he can save you on his own."

"He's crazy like that." It's the one thing that I'd grown to really admire about him. He loves to play hero, doesn't he?

"He only does it as a projection."

It felt like a kick in the teeth. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I asked her.

"He thinks that saving you will help him save himself. He doesn't want you to get any other help because it's not what he wants for himself."

"Nonsense." I shook my head. "Denis cares about me."

"I never said that he doesn't care about you," Lily corrected herself.

I was growing to dislike her. Not only because I was jealous of her for more reasons than I could count. "Whatever. But I know how to break out of here myself. I don't need your help. " 

"You can't walk, can you? " 

I shivered. "Not well, but it doesn't matter. If Denis escaped for me, then I can escape too. " 

"Why are you all so stubborn to believe that you can't accept help? " 

"You wouldn't understand. " It was true. She really wouldn't understand what it's like to have no one care, and then all of the sudden everyone wants to help you. She's had a perfect life. 

"Try me, " She dared me. 

"Never mind that. I just want to get out of here. Tell me where to go." 

Lily sighed. She handed me a crumpled up piece of paper. "There's the address. Get there whenever you can. " She stood up, walking to exit to room. "Just so you know, Denis tried to kill himself a second time. " 

I sat up, despite the fact that my muscles could barely perform the motion. "What?! " 

"Yes. Ben told him to kill himself. " 

"Ben? But Denis talks about Ben so highly. " 

Lily turned around. "Really? " 

I nodded. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say that Denis is totally crushing on Ben. " 

"Benjamin Bruce? " She asked, still unsure. 

I nodded. "The one and only. " 

"But I thought-" She just stood there, and I saw it  click. "Oh my God! I understand it all now! The letter, the shouting, the sadness, the jealousy. How could I not have seen it before? " 

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't you get it? Denis didn't like me, he likes Ben!"

"No shit, he always spoke of you in a platonic way. He doesn't feel that way about you. Sorry to disappoint you, if that's what you wanted."

"It's not what I wanted, but it still leaves the first time he tried to kill himself a mystery." Lily though allowed. "Why would he do that if he could have just told us how he felt?"

I shrugged, knowing the truth. I promised Denis that I wouldn't tell though. "No idea. Maybe you should go and ask him. I'll be with you guys tonight, by the way. I'm busting out of here."

Lily didn't smile. "We'll be expecting you then." She walked out of the room with nothing more to say. 

Why is she so against us not having professional help? It doesn't always work for everyone.